MPI-2 One-Sided Communications on a Giganet SMP Cluster
We describe and evaluate an implementation of the MPI-2 one-sided communications on a Giganet SMP Cluster. The cluster runs under Linux with our own port of MPICH 1.2.1, a well-known, portable, non-threaded MPI implementation, to the Virtual Interface Provider Library (VIPL). We call this implementation MPI/VIA. The one-sided communications part was adapted from MPI/SX, a full MPI-2 implementation for the NEC SX-5 vector-parallel supercomputer. We evaluate the performance of the one-sided communications by comparing to point-to-point communication. For applications that can be implemented naturally in both the one-sided and the point-to-point model, the MPI/VIA implementation is such that the user is not penalized by choosing one model over the other.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.N. Asai, T. Kentemich, and P. Lagier. MPI-2 implementation on Fujitsu generic message passing kernel. In Supercomputing, 1999. http://www.sc99.org/proceedings/papers/lagier.pdf.
- 2.S. Booth and E. Mourão. Single sided MPI implementations for SUN MPI. In Supercomputing, 2000. http://www.sc2000.org/proceedings/techpapr/index.htm/#01.
- 3.Compaq, Intel, Microsoft. Virtual Interface Specification, 1997.Google Scholar
- 4.W. Gropp, S. Huss-Lederman, A. Lumsdaine, E. Lusk, B. Nitzberg, W. Saphir, and M. Snir. MPI-The Complete Reference, volume 2, The MPI Extensions. MIT Press, 1998.Google Scholar
- 6.J. L. Träff, H. Ritzdorf, and R. Hempel. The implementation of MPI-2 one-sided communication for the NEC SX-5. In Supercomputing, 2000. http://www.sc2000.org/proceedings/techpapr/index.htm/#01.