From Entities and Relationships to Social Actors and Dependencies
Modeling social settings is becoming an increasingly important activity in software development and other conceptual modeling applications. In this paper, we review i* [Yu95], a conceptual model specifically intended for representing social settings. Then, we introduce Tropos, a formal language founded on the primitive concepts of i*, and demonstrate its expressiveness through examples. Finally, we give an overview of a project which uses Tropos to support software development from early requirements analysis to detailed design.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [BCN92]C. Batini, S Ceri, and S Navathe. Database Design: An Entity Relationship Approach. Benjamin/Cummings, 1992.Google Scholar
- [BRJ99]G. Booch, J Rumbaugh, and I Jacobson. The Unied Modeling Language User Guide. The Addison-Wesley Object Technology Series. Addison-Wesley, 1999.Google Scholar
- [CGP99]E. Clarke, O Grumberg, and D Peled. Model Checking. MIT Press, 1999.Google Scholar
- [Che75]P. Chen. The Entity-Relationship model: Towards a unied view of data.In D. Kerr, editor, Proceedings of the International Conference on VeryLarge Data BasesSeptember 1975.Google Scholar
- [CKM00]J. Castro, M. Kolp, and J. Mylopoulos. Developing agent-oriented information systems for the enterprise. InSecond International Conference on Enterprise Information SystemsJuly 2000.Google Scholar
- [CL90]P. Cohen and H. Levesque. Intention is choice with commitment. Artificial Intelligence32(3)1990.Google Scholar
- [MC00]J. Mylopoulos and J. Castro. Tropos: A framework for requirements-driven software development. In J. Brinkkemper and A. Solvberg, editors, Information Systems Engineering: State of the Art and Research Themes.Springer-Verlag, 2000.Google Scholar
- [OPB99]J. Odell, H. Van Dyke Parunak, and B. Bauer. Representing agent inter-action protocols in UML. To be published, 1999.Google Scholar
- [RBP+91]J. Rumbaugh, M. Blaha, W. Premerlani, F. Eddy, and W. Lorensen.Object-Oriented Modelling and Design. Prentice Hall, 1991.Google Scholar
- [YM94]E. Yu and J. Mylopoulos. From E-R to A-R-modeling strategic actor rela-tionships for business process reengineering. In P. Loucopoulos, editor, Proceedings Thirteenth International Conference on the Entity-Relationship Approach. Springer-Verlag, December 1994.Google Scholar
- [YML96]E. Yu, J. Mylopoulos, and Y. Lesperance. AI models for business process reengineeringIEEE Expert1996.Google Scholar
- [Yu93]E. Yu. Modelling organizations for information systems requirements engineeringFirst IEEE Int. Symposium on Requirements EngineeringJanuary 1993.Google Scholar
- [Yu95]E. Yu. Modelling Strategic Relationships for Process Reengineering. PhD thesis, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada, 1995.Google Scholar