Building Optimal Committees of Genetic Programs
Committee machines are known to improve the performance of individual learners. Evolutionary algorithms generate multiple individuals that can be combined to build committee machines. However, it is not easy to decide how big the committee should be and what members constitute the best committee. In this paper, we present a probabilistic search method for determining the size and members of the committees of individuals that are evolved by a standard GP engine. Applied to a suite of benchmark learning tasks, the GP committees achieved significant improvement in prediction accuracy.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Zhang, B.-T., Joung, J.-G.: Enhancing Robustness of Genetic Programming at the Species Level. Genetic Programming Conference (GP-97), Morgan Kaufmann, (1997) 336–342.Google Scholar
- 3.Yao, X., Liu, Y.: Making Use of Population Information in Evolutionary Artificial Neural Networks. IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, 28B(2) (1998) 417–425.Google Scholar
- 5.Perron, M.P.: Improving Regression Estimation: Averaging Methods for Variance Reduction with Extensions to General Convex Measure Optimization. PhD thesis, Department of Physics, Brown University, (1993).Google Scholar
- 7.Haykin, S.: Neural Networks, a Comprehensive Foundation. Prentice Hall. (1994).Google Scholar
- 13.Lemm, J.C.: Mixtures of Gaussian Process Priors. The Ninth International Conference on Artificial Neural Networks (ICANN 99), (1999) 7–10.Google Scholar
- 14.Neri, F., Giordana, A.: A Parallel Genetic Algorithm for Concept Learning. The Sixth international Conference on Genetic Algorithms, (1995) 436–443.Google Scholar
- 16.Perron, M.P., Cooper, L.N.: When Networks Disagree: Ensemble Methods for Hybrid Neural Networks. Artificial Neural Networks for Speech and Vision, Chapman & Hall, (1994) 126–142.Google Scholar
- 18.Murphy, P.M., Aha, D.W.: UCI Repository of Machine Learning Datasets (machine-readable data repository). University of California-Irvine, Department of Information and Computer Science, (1994).Google Scholar
- 19.Walter, A.T.: Genetic Programming for Feature Discovery and Image Discrimination. In Proceedings of the Fifth Conference on Genetic Algorithms, (1993) 303–309.Google Scholar
- 20.Gama, J.: Local Cascade Generalization. In Proceedings of the Fifth International Conference (ICML’98), (1998) 206–214.Google Scholar