Probabilistic Head-Driven Chart Parsing of Czech Sentences
In this paper we present the results of our work on an implementation of a fast head-driven chart parser for the Czech language and constructing the appropriate grammar covering all prevailing grammatical phenomena of Czech. We re-assume our previous work on syntactic analysis that was based on the GLR mechanism. We have extended our metagrammar formalism so as to reinforce the declarativeness of the linguistic description. With respect to the massive ambiguity of the grammar we have enriched the head-driven chart parsing mechanism with probabilities obtained from training tree-bank corpus.
KeywordsDependency Tree Derivation Tree Grammar Rule Phrase Structure Grammar Tree Adjoining Grammar
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Pollard, G. and Sag, I.: Head-Driven Phrase Structure Grammar, University of Chicago Press, 1994.Google Scholar
- 2.Neidle, C.: Lexical-Functional Grammar, Encyclopedia of Language and Linguistics, vol. 3, pp. 2147–2153, Pergamon Press, Oxford, 1994.Google Scholar
- 3.Schabes, Y., Abeille, A. and Joshi, A. K.: Parsing strategies with ‘lexicalized’ grammars: Application to tree adjoining grammars, In Proceedings of the 12th COLING, pp. 578–583, Budapest, Hungary, 1988.Google Scholar
- 4.Smrž, P. and Horák, A.: Implementation of Efficient and Portable Parser for Czech, In Proceedings ofTSD’ 99, pp. 105–108, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1999.Google Scholar
- 6.Tomita, M.: Efficient Parsing for Natural Languages: A Fast Algorithm for Practical Systems, Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1986.Google Scholar
- 7.Moore, R., C.: Improved Left-Corner Chart Parsing for Large Context-Free Grammars, In Proceedings of the 6th IWPT, pp. 171–182, Trento, Italy, 2000.Google Scholar
- 8.Hajič, J.: Building a Syntactically Annotated Corpus: The Prague Dependency Treebank, In Issues of Valency and Meaning, pp. 106–132, Karolinum, Prague, 1998.Google Scholar
- 9.Smrž, P. and Horák, A.: Determining Type of TIL Construction with Verb Valency Analyser, In Proceedings ofSOFSEM’ 98, pp. 429–436, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1998.Google Scholar