Materialized View Selection in a Data Warehouse
- First Online:
Selecting views to be materialized is one of the most important decisions in designing a warehouse. In this paper we present algorithms for how to select a set of views to be materialized so as to achieve both good query performance and low view maintain cost under a storage space constraint. We generated the candidate views based on Query Frames which represent the essential characters of queries. We give an algorithm to select an optimal set of views to be materialized first and then give a feasible algorithm which generates a reasonable solution.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.V. Harinarayan, A. Rajaraman, and J. D. Ullman. Implementing data cubes efficiently. In ACM SIGMOD,Canada, June 1996Google Scholar
- 2.E. Baralis, S. Paraboschi, E. Teniente. Materialized View Selection in a Multidimensional Database. In Proc. VLDB, 1997Google Scholar
- 3.A. Shukla, P. Deshpande, J.F. Naughton. Materialized View Selection for Multidimensional Datasets. In Proc. VLDB, 1998Google Scholar
- 4.H. Gupta, V. Harinarayan, A. Rajaraman, and J. D. Ullman. Index Selection for OLAP. In Proc. ICDE, 1997Google Scholar
- 5.D. Theodoratos, T. Sellis. Data Warehouse Configuration. In Proc. VLDB, 1997Google Scholar
- 6.K.A. Ross, D. Srivastava and S. Sudarshan Materialized view maintenance and integrity constraint checking: trading space for time. In ACM SIGMOD, 1996Google Scholar
- 7.H. Gupta. Selection of Views In a DataWarehouse. In Proc. ICDT, 1997Google Scholar
- 8.J. Yang, K. Karlapalem, Q. Li. Algorithms for Materialized View Design in Data Warehousing Environment. In Proc. VLDB, 1997Google Scholar
- 9.U. Dayal, Of Nests and Trees:A Unified Approach to Processing Queries That Contain Nested Subqueries, Aggregates, and Quantifiers. In Proc.VLDB, 1987Google Scholar
- 10.M. Muralikrishna, Improved Unnesting Algorithms for Join Aggregate SQL Queries. In Proc. VLDB, 1992Google Scholar
- 11.Y. Feng, X.Y. Du, S. Wang, Materialized View Selection in a Data Warehouse., Renmin University of China, Research Report, 1999Google Scholar