Hierarchical Clustering-Merging for Multidimensional Index Structures
The R-tree family index structures are among the most common index structures used in multidimensional databases. To improve the search performance it is very important to reduce the overlap between bounding regions in the R-tree. However the arbitrary insertion order in the tree construction procedure might result in tree structures inefficient in the search operations. In this paper we propose a new technique called Hierarchical Clustering-Merging (HCM) to improve the tree construction procedure of the R-tree family index structures. With this technique we can take advantage of the data distribution information in the data set to achieve an optimized tree structure and improve the search performance.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- O. Guttman, “R-tree: A Dynamic Index Structure for Spatial Searching”, in Proc. ACM SIGMOD, pp.47–57, 1984Google Scholar
- N. Katayama and S. Satoh, “The SR-tree: An Index Structure for High-Dimensional Nearest Neighbor Queries”, In Proc. of the ACM SIGMOD, pp. 369–380, 1997Google Scholar
- N. Beckmann, H.P. Kriegel, R. Schneider, B. Seeger, “The R*-tree: An Efficient and Robust Access Method for Points and Rectangles”, In Proc. of ACM SIGMOD International Conference on Management of Data, pp. 322–331, May 1990Google Scholar
- T. Sellis, N. Roussopoulos, and C. Faloutsos, “The R+-tree: A dynamic index for multi-dimensional objects,” in Proc. of 13th Conf. Very Large Databases, Brighton, U.K., pp. 507–518, Sept. 1987Google Scholar
- I. Kamel, C. Faloutsos, “On Packing R-trees”, in Proc. of the 2nd International Conference on Information and Knowledge Management, pp. 490–499, Arlington, VA, November 1993Google Scholar
- Roussopoulos, D. Leifker, “Direct Spatial Search on Pictorial Databases Using Packed R-trees”, in Proc. of ACM SIGMOD International Conference on Management of Data, pp. 17–31, 1985Google Scholar
- Scott T. Leutenegger et al, “STR: A Simple and Efficient Algorithm for R-tree Packing”, in Proc. of the 13rd IEEE International Conference on Data Engineering, pp. 497–506, Birmingham U.K., 1997Google Scholar
- Ng and J. Han, “Efficient and Effective Clustering Method for Spatial Data Mining”, VLDB’94, pp. 144–155, Santiago, Chile, Sept. 1994Google Scholar
- A.K. Jian, M.N. Murty, and P. J. Flynn, “Data clustering: A review”, ACM Computing Sur-veys, vol. 31, no. 3, September 1999Google Scholar
- Open Source Clustering Software: http://bonsai.ims.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~mdehoon/software/cluster/index.htmlGoogle Scholar
- Source code of multi-dimensional indexing techniques: http://dias.cti.gr/~ytheod/research/indexing/Google Scholar
- The SR-tree: http://research.nii.ac.jp/~katayama/homepage/research/srtree/English.htmlGoogle Scholar