A Non-dominated Sorting Particle Swarm Optimizer for Multiobjective Optimization
This paper introduces a modified PSO, Non-dominated Sorting Particle Swarm Optimizer (NSPSO), for better multiobjective optimization. NSPSO extends the basic form of PSO by making a better use of particles’ personal bests and offspring for more effective nondomination comparisons. Instead of a single comparison between a particle’s personal best and its offspring, NSPSO compares all particles’ personal bests and their offspring in the entire population. This proves to be effective in providing an appropriate selection pressure to propel the swarm population towards the Pareto-optimal front. By using the non-dominated sorting concept and two parameter-free niching methods, NSPSO and its variants have shown remarkable performance against a set of well-known difficult test functions (ZDT series). Our results and comparison with NSGA II show that NSPSO is highly competitive with existing evolutionary and PSO multiobjective algorithms.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Kennedy, J. and Eberhart, R.: Particle Swarm Optimization. In Proceedings of the Fourth IEEE International Conference on Neural Networks, Perth, Australia. IEEE Service Center (1995) 1942–1948.Google Scholar
- 4.Coello, C.A.C. and Lechuga, M.S.: MOPSO: A Proposal for Multiple Objective Particle Swarm Optimization, in Proceedings of Congress on Evolutionary Computation (CEC’2002), Vol. 2, IEEE Press (2002) 1051–1056.Google Scholar
- 5.Hu, X. and Eberhart, R.: Multiobjective Optimization Using Dynamic Neighbour-hood Particle Swarm Optimization. In Proceedings of the IEEE World Congress on Computational Intelligence, Hawaii, May 12–17, 2002. IEEE Press (2002).Google Scholar
- 6.Parsopoulos, K.E. and Vrahatis, M.N.: Particle Swarm Optimization Method in Multiobjective Problems, in Proceedings of the 2002 ACM Symposium on Applied Computing (SAC’2002) (2002) 603–607.Google Scholar
- 7.Fieldsend, E. and Singh, S.: A Multi-Objective Algorithm based upon Particle Swarm Optimisation, an Efficient Data Structure and Turbulence, Proceedings of the 2002 U.K. Workshop on Computational Intelligence, Birmingham, UK (2002) 37–44.Google Scholar
- 8.Horn, J., Nafpliotis, N., and Goldberg, D.E.: A Niched Pareto Genetic Algorithm for Multiobjective Optimization. In Proceedings of the First IEEE Conference on Evolutionary Computation, IEEE World Congress on Computational Intelligence, vol: 1, Piscataway, New Jersey. IEEE Service Center. (1994) 82–87.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Deb, K., Agrawal, S. Pratap, A. and Meyarivan, T.: A Fast Elitist NonDominated Sorting Genetic Algorithm for Multi-Objective Optimization: NSGA-II. In Proceedings of Parallel Problem Solving from Nature — PPSN VI, Springer (2000) 849–858.Google Scholar
- 10.Goldberg, D.E., and Richardson, J.J.: Genetic Algorithms with sharing for multimodal function optimization. Genetic Algorithms and Their Applications: Proceedings of the Second ICGA, Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Hillsdale, NJ, (1987) 41–49.Google Scholar
- 11.Fonseca, C.M. and Fleming, P.J.: Genetic algorithms for multiobjective optimization: Formulation, discussion, and generalization. In Proceedings of the Fifth International Conference on Genetic Algorithms (1993) 355–365.Google Scholar