A Flexible Transition Scheme within a Dual Stack Host in IPv4/IPv6 Coexistence Phase
In an early transition period, the Internet consists of IPv4-only, IPv6-only or IPv4/IPv6 dual networks. Users want to connect to the Internet without any restriction and also still use their existing applications even after migration from IPv4 to IPv6 networks. Thus, we propose a new flexible transition scheme called CHADH (Coexistence of Heterogeneous Applications within a Dual stack Host). At this scheme, DSTM (Dual Stack Transition Mechanism) is tightly coupled with BIA (Bump In the API). With these coupling, Users can use their existing IPv4 applications to communicate with IPv6 host within IPv6 networks. Furthermore, seamless interworking with IPv4 networks can be also assured. Additionally, it can provide the users with adaptive environments to easily use their terminals in various networks environments. DNSv6 resolving can be also available to the users with the help of CHADH. We have implemented the prototype of CHADH on the Microsoft Windows 2000 and XP platforms. We have verified its usability through various experiments with existing applications and evaluated the performance in each network environments.
KeywordsInternet Engineer Task Force User Terminal IPv4 Address IPv6 Network Dual Network
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- S. Deering, R. Hinden: Internet Protocol, Version 6 (IPv6) Specification, RFC 2460, December 1998.Google Scholar
- A. Baudot, C. Hahn, P. Kyheroinen, A, Zehl: Interaction of transition mechanisms, <draft-ietf-ngtrans-interaction-01.txt>, June 2002, Work in ProgressGoogle Scholar
- S. Lee, M. Shin, Y. Kim, E. Nordmark, A. Durand: Dual Stack Hosts Using Bump-in-the-API(BIA), RFC 3338, October 2002.Google Scholar
- J. Bound, L. Toutain, O. Medina, F. Dupont, H. Affifi, A. Durand: Dual Stack Transition Mechanism (DSTM), <draft-ietf-nagtans-dstm-08.txt>, July 2002, Work in Progress.Google Scholar
- G. Tsirtsis, P. Srisuresh: Network Address Translation-Protocol Translation (NAT-PT), RFC 2766, February 2000.Google Scholar
- E. Nordmark: Stateless IP/ICMP translation algorithm (SIIT), RFC 2765, February 2000.Google Scholar
- Anthony Jones, Jim Ohlund: Network Programming for Microsoft Windows, Microsoft Press, pp. 483–510, 1999.Google Scholar
- Microsoft windows DDK documentation. http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/.Google Scholar