Virtual Radiofrequency Ablation of Liver Tumors
In the last few years, radiofrequency ablation has become one of the most promising techniques to treat liver tumors. But radiologists have to face the difficulty of planning their treatment while only relying on 2D slices. We present here a realistic radiofrequency ablation simulation tool, coupled with a 3D reconstruction and visualization project. They help radiologists to have a better visualization of patients anatomic structures and pathologies, and allow them to easily find an adequate treatment.
KeywordsRadiofrequency Ablation Large Vessel Deformation Zone Lesion Zone Security Margin
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.McGahan J.F., Dodd III G.D.: Radiofrequency ablation of the liver: Current status. American Journal of Roentgenology 176(1) (2001) 3–16Google Scholar
- 3.Soler L., Delingette H., Malandain G., Montagnat J., Ayache N., Koehl C., Dourthe O., Malassagne B., Smith M., Mutter D. and Marescaux J.: Fully automatic anatomical, pathological, and functional segmentation from CT scans for hepatic surgery. Computer Aided Surgery 6(3) (2001) 131–142CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.De Baere T., Denys A., Wood B.J., Lassau N., Kardache M., Vilgrain V., Menu Y., Roche A.: Radiofrequency liver ablation: Experimental comparative study of watercooled versus expandable systems. American Journal of Roentgenology 176(1) (2001) 187–192Google Scholar
- 6.Rossi S., Garbagnati F., Lencinoni R.: Unresectable hepatocellular carcinoma: percutaneous radiofrequency thermal ablation after occlusion of tumor blood supply. Radiology 217 (2000) 119–126Google Scholar
- 7.Livraghi T., Goldberg S.N., Monti F., et al.: Saline-enhanced radiofrequency tissue ablation in the treatment of liver metastasis. Radiology 202 (1997) 205–210Google Scholar
- 8.Livraghi T., Goldberg S.N., Lazzaroni S., Meloni F., Solbiati L. and G. Scott Gazelle: Small Hepatocellular Carcinoma: Treatment with Radio-frequency Ablation versus Ethanol Injection. Radiology 210(3) (1999) 655–661Google Scholar
- 9.Rewcastle J.C., Sandison G.A., Kennedy P., Donnelly B.J., Saliken J.C.: 3-Dimensional visualization of Simulated Prostate Cryosurgery. Society of Cardiovascular and Interventional Radiology 25th Annual Meeting, San Diego, California (March 25–30, 2001)Google Scholar
- 10.Butz T., Warfield S.K., Tuncali K., Silverman S.G., van Sonnenberg E., Jolesz F.A. and Kikinis R.: Pre-and Intra-operative Planning and Simulation of Percutaneous Tumor Ablation. Medical Image Computing and Computer Assisted Intervention, Pittsburgh, USA. (Oct. 2000) 317–326Google Scholar