A hybrid projection based and radial basis function architecture
A hybrid architecture that includes Radial Basis Functions (RBF) and projection based hidden units is introduced together with a simple gradient based training algorithm. Classification and regression results are demonstrated on various data sets and compared with several variants of RBF networks. In particular, best classification results are achieved on the vowel classification data .
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.D. H. Deterding. Speaker Normalisation for Automatic Speech Recognition. PhD thesis, University of Cambridge, 1989.Google Scholar
- 4.G. W. Flake. Square unit augmented, radially extended, multilayer percpetrons. In G. B. Orr and K. Müller, editors, Neural Networks: Tricks of the Trade, pages 145–163. Springer, 1998.Google Scholar
- 8.S. Lane, D. Handelman, J. Gelfand, and M. Flax. Function approximation using multi-layered neural networks and b-spline receptive fields. In R. P. Lippmann, J. E. Moody, and D. S. Touretzky, editors, Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems, volume 3, pages 684–693, San Mateo, CA, 1991. Morgan Kaufmann.Google Scholar
- 11.M. J. Orr. Introduction to Radial Basis Function networks. Technical report, 1996. http://www.anc.ed.ac.uk/~mjo/rbf.html.
- 12.M. J. Orr. Recent advances in Radial Basis Function networks. Technical report http://www.anc.ed.ac.uk/~mjo/papers/recad.ps.gz 1999.
- 13.M. J. Orr, J. Hallman, K. Takezawa, A. Murray, S. Ninomiya, M. Oide, and T. Leonard. Combining regression trees and radial basis functions. Division of informatics, Edinburgh University, 1999. Submitted to IJNS.Google Scholar
- 15.A. J. Robinson. Dynamic Error Propogation Networks. PhD thesis, University of Cambridge, 1989.Google Scholar
- 16.D. E. Rumelhart, G. E. Hinton, and R. J. Williams. Learning internal representations by error propagation. In D. E. Rumelhart and J. L. McClelland, editors, Parallel Distributed Processing, volume 1, pages 318–362. MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, 1986.Google Scholar
- 19.V. Volterra. Theory of Functional and of Integro-differential Equations. Dover, 1959.Google Scholar