Woflan 2.0 A Petri-Net-Based Workflow Diagnosis Tool
Workflow management technology promises a flexible solution facilitating the easy creation of new business processes and modification of existing ones. Unfortunately, most of today’s workflow products allow for erroneous processes to be put in production: these products lack proper verification mechanisms in their process-definition tools for the created or modified processes. This paper presents the workflow diagnosis tool Woflan, which fills this gap. Using Petri-net based techniques, Woflan diagnoses process definitions before they are put into production. These process definitions can be imported from commercial work-flow products. Furthermore, Woflan guides the modeler of a workflow process definition towards finding and correcting possible errors.
KeywordsBusiness Process Coverability Graph Process Definition Diagnosis Process Diagnostic Property
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Aal97]W.M.P. van der Aalst. Verification of Workflow Nets. In P. Azéma and G. Balbo, editors, Application and Theory of Petri Nets 1997, Proceedings, volume 1248 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 407–426, Toulouse, France, June 1997. Springer, Berlin, Germany, 1997.Google Scholar
- [AH00]W.M.P. van der Aalst and A.H.M. ter Hofstede. Verification of Workflow Task Structures: A Petri-net-based Approach. Information Systems, To appear, 2000.Google Scholar
- [EN94]J. Esparza and M. Nielsen. Decidability Issues for Petri Nets-a Survey. Journal of Information Processing and Cybernetics, 30(3):210–242, 1994.Google Scholar
- [Fin93]A. Finkel. The Minimal Coverability Graph for Petri Nets. In G. Rozenberg, editor, Advances in Petri Nets 1993, volume 674 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 210–243. Springer, Berlin, Germany, 1993.Google Scholar
- [IC96]R.R.A. Issa and R.F. Cox. Using Process Modeling and Workflow Integration to gain (ISO 9000) Certification in Construction. In CIB W89 Beijing International Conference on Construction, Modernization, and Education, Beijing, China, 1996.Google Scholar
- [Pal97]Pallas Athena. Protos User Manual. Pallas Athena BV, Plasmolen, The Netherlands, 1997.Google Scholar
- [SKM]A. Sheth, K. Kochut, and J. Miller. Large Scale Distributed Information Systems (LSDIS) laboratory, METEOR project page. http://www.lsdis.cs.uga.edu/proj/meteor/meteor.html.
- [SL98]Software-Ley. COSA User Manual. Software-Ley GmbH, Pullheim, Germany, 1998.Google Scholar
- [Sta97]Staffware. Staffware 97 / GWD User Manual. Staffware Plc, Berkshire, UK, 1997.Google Scholar
- [VA]H.M.W. Verbeek and W.M.P. van der Aalst. Woflan Home Page. http://www.win.tue.nl/~woflan.
- [VBA99]H.M.W. Verbeek, T. Basten, and W.M.P. van der Aalst. Diagnosing Workflow Processes using Woflan. Computing Science Report 99/02, Eindhoven University of Technology, Eindhoven, The Netherlands, 1999.Google Scholar
- [WFM96]WFMC. Workflow Management Coalition Terminology and Glossary (WFMC-TC-1011). Technical report, Workflow Management Coalition, Brussels, 1996.Google Scholar