A File System Based on Concept Analysis
We present the design of a file system whose organization is based on Concept Analysis “à la Wille-Ganter”. The aim is to combine querying and navigation facilities in one formalism. The file system is supposed to offer a standard interface but the interpretation of common notions like directories is new. The contents of a file system is interpreted as a Formal Context, directories as Formal Concepts, and the sub-directory relation as Formal Concepts inclusion. We present an organization that allows for an efficient implementation of such a Conceptual File System.
KeywordsFile System Concept Analysis Concept Lattice Elementary Operation Formal Context
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- CM98.L. Chaudron and N. Maille. 1st order logic formal concept analysis: from logic programming to theory. Computer and Information Science, 13(3), 1998.Google Scholar
- FR99.S. Ferré and O. Ridoux. Une géenéralisation logique de l’analyse de concepts logique. Technical Report RR-3820, Inria, Institut National de Recherche en Informatique et en Automatique, December 1999. An english version is available at http://www.irisa.fr/lande/ferre.
- FR00.Sébastien Ferré and Olivier Ridoux. A logical generalization of formal concept analysis. In Guy Mineau and Bernhard Ganter, editors, International Conference on Conceptual Structures, August 2000. To appear.Google Scholar
- GJSO91.David K. Gifford, Pierre Jouvelot, Mark A. Sheldon, and James W. Jr O’Toole. Semantic file systems. In Proceedings of 13th ACM Symposium on Operating Systems Principles, pages 16–25. ACM SIGOPS, October 1991.Google Scholar
- GM99.Burra Gopal and Udi Manber. Integrating content-based access mechanisms with hierarchical file systems. In Proceedings of third symposium on Operating Systems Design and Implementation, pages 265–278. USENIX Association, 1999.Google Scholar
- GW99.B. Ganter and R. Wille. Formal Concept Analysis — Mathematical Foundations. Springer, 1999.Google Scholar
- KS94.M. Krone and G. Snelting. On the inference of configuration structures from source code. In Proceedings of the 16th International Conference on Software Engineering, pages 49–58. IEEE Computer Society Press, May 1994.Google Scholar
- Lin95.C. Lindig. Concept-based component retrieval. In IJCAI95 Workshop on Formal Approaches to the Reuse of Plans, Proofs, and Programs, 1995.Google Scholar
- Sne98.G. Snelting. Concept analysis — A new framework for program understanding. ACM SIGPLAN Notices, 33(7):1–10, July 1998.Google Scholar