Parallel Edge-Based Finite Element Techniques for Nonlinear Solid Mechanics
Parallel edge-based data structures are used to improve computational efficiency of Inexact Newton methods for solving finite element nonlinear solid mechanics problems on unstructured meshes composed by tetrahedra or hexaedra. We found that for tetrahedral meshes, the use of edgebased data structures reduce memory requirements to hold the stiffness matrix by a factor of 7, and the number of floating point operations to compute the matrix-vector product needed in the iterative driver of the Inexact Newton method by a factor of 5. For hexahedral meshes the reduction factors are respectively 2 and 3.
KeywordsTetrahedral Mesh Nonlinear Finite Element Inexact Newton Method Float Point Operation Solid Mechanic Problem
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Arguello, J.G., Stone, C.M., Fossum. A.F., Progress on the development of a three dimensional capability for simulating large-scale complex geologic process, 3rdNorth-American Rock Mechanics Symposium, Int. S. Rock Mechanics, paper USA 327–3, 1998.Google Scholar
- Biffle, J.H., JAC3D-A three-dimensional finite element computer program for the nonlinear quasi-static response of solids with the conjugate gradient method, Sandia Report SAND87-1305, 1993.Google Scholar
- Crisfield, M.A., Nonlinear finite element analysis of solids and structures, John Wiley and Sons, 1991.Google Scholar
- Ferencz, R.M., Hughes, T.J.R., Iterative finite element solutions in nonlinear solid mechanics, in Handbook for Numerical Analysis, Vol. VI, Editors, P.G. Ciarlet and J.L. Lions, Elsevier Science BV, 1998.Google Scholar
- Kelley, C.T.H. Iterative Methods for Linear and Nonlinear Equations, SIAM, Philadelphia, 1995.Google Scholar
- Martins, M.A.D., Coutinho, A.L.G.A., Alves, J.L.D., Parallel iterative solution of finite element systems of equations employing edge-based data structures, 8th SIAM Conference on Parallel Processing for Scientific Computing, Editors, M. Heath et al, 1997.Google Scholar
- Papadrakakis, M., Solving large-scale problems in mechanics: the development and application of computational solution procedures, John Wiley and Sons, 1993.Google Scholar
- Peraire, J., Peiro, J., Morgan, K., A 3d finite element multigrid solver for the euler equations, AIAA Paper 92–0449, 1992.Google Scholar