Automatic Determination of Algebraic Surfaces as Loci of Points
3D-Loci Discovery (3D-LD), a web-based system for automatic discovery of geometric loci in the space, is described. Its basic engine is based on the Groebner basis method. 3D-LD can be used to easily (re)discover many loci-related geometric surfaces, and it has allowed us to generalize a recent extension of Simson-Steiner’s theorems due to Guzmán.
Being accessible through the web, 3D-LD is platform independent, and can be linked with other graphical tools. It uses the symbolic capabilities of Mathematica and CoCoA, by means of the recently distributed application webMathematica, a Java servlet technology allowing the generation of dynamic web content. A simple description of 3D-LD and some examples of use are available at http://rosalia.uvigo.es/sdge/web/3D/.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Becker, T., Weispfenning, V.: Groebner Bases. A Computational Approach to Commutative Algebra. Springer, Berlin (1998)Google Scholar
- 3.Botana, F.: Interactive versus symbolic approaches to plane loci generation in dynamic geometry environments. Proc. I Int. Workshop on Computer Graphics and Geometric Modelling CGGM’2002, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 2330, 211–218 (2002)Google Scholar
- 5.Buchberger, B.: Groebner Bases: an Algorithmic Method in Polynomial Ideal Theory. In N.K. Bose, Multidimensional systems theory, Reidel, Dordrecht, 184–232 (1985)Google Scholar
- 6.Capani, A., Niesi, G., L. Robbiano: CoCoA, a system for doing Computations in Commutative Algebra. Available via anonymous ftp from: ftp://cocoa.dima.unige.it
- 8.Gao, X.S.: Automated geometry diagram construction and engineering geometry. Proc. Automated Deduction in Geometry ADG’98, Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence, 1669, 232–257 (1998)Google Scholar
- 11.Roanes-Macías, E., Roanes-Lozano, E.: Automatic determination of geometric loci. 3D-extension of Simson-Steiner theorem. Proc. Artificial Intelligence and Symbolic Computing AISC 2000, Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence, 1930, 157–173 (2000)Google Scholar
- 12.Van Labeke, N.: Calques 3D: a microworld for spatial geometry learning. Proc. Intelligent Tutoring Systems ITS’98. System Demonstrations (1998)Google Scholar