Finite Element Simulation of BAW Propagation in Inhomogeneous Plate Due to Piezoelectric Actuation
A set of finite elements (FEs) is formulated to analyze wave propagation through inhomogeneous material when subjected to mechanical, thermal loading or piezo-electric actuation. Elastic, thermal and electrical properties of the materials are allowed to vary in length and thickness direction. The elements can act both as sensors and actuators. These elements are used to model wave propagation in functionally graded materials (FGM) and the effect of inhomogeneity in the wave is demonstrated. Further, a surface acoustic wave (SAW) device is modeled and wave propagation due to piezo-electric actuation from interdigital transducers (IDTs) is studied.
KeywordsLamination Acoustics Cylin Padding
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Suresh, S. and Mortensen, A.: Fundamentals of Functionally Graded Materials. IOM Communications Ltd, London, 1998Google Scholar
- 7.Chakraborty, A., Gopalakrishnan, S., Reddy, J.N.: A new beam finite element for the analysis of functionally graded materials. Int. J. Mechanical Sciences (under review) 2003Google Scholar
- 8.Chakraborty, A., Gopalakrishnan, S.: A spectrally formulated finite element for wave propagation analysis in functionally graded beams. Int. J. Solids and Structures (in press) 2003Google Scholar
- 10.Liu, G.R., Tani, J., Ohyoshi, T.: Lamb waves in a functionally gradient material plates and its transient response. Part 1: Theory, Part 2: Calculation results. Transactions of Japan society of mechanical engineers 57A(535) (1991) 131–142Google Scholar
- 14.Liu, G.R., Tani, J.: SH surface waves in functionally gradient piezoelectric material plates. Transactions of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers 58A(547) (1992) 504–507Google Scholar
- 16.Lefebvre J.E., Zhang V., Gazalet J., Gryba T. and Sadaune V.: Acoustic wave propagation in continuous functionally graded plates: An extension of the Legendre polynomial approach. IEEE Trans. on UFFC 48(5) (2001)Google Scholar
- 17.Chakraborty, A. and Gopalakrishnan, S.: Various numerical techniques for analysis of longitudinal wave propagation in inhomogeneous one-dimensional waveguides. Acta Mechanica (accepted) 2003Google Scholar
- 19.Chakraborty, A. and Gopalakrishnan, S.: Study of lateral contraction effects in a deep composite laminated beam through a new finite element formulation. Mechanics of Advanced Materials and Structures (in press) 2003Google Scholar
- 20.Makkonen, T., Holappa, A. and Salomaa, M.M.: Finite Element Simulation of Thin-film Composite BAW Resonators. IEEE Transactions on UFFC 48(5) 2001Google Scholar
- 21.Hasegawa, K., Inagawa, K. and Koshiba, M.: Extraction of all coefficients of coupled-mode equations for natural, single phase, unidirectional SAW transducers from dispersion characteristics computed by hybrid finite element method. IEEE Transactions on UFFC 48(5) 2001Google Scholar
- 22.Ventura, P., Hode, J.M., Desbois, J. and Solal, M.: Combined FEM and Green’s function analysis of periodic SAW structure, application to the calculation of reflection and scattering parameters. IEEE Transactions on UFFC 48(5) 2001Google Scholar