A Model for Analyzing Measurement Based Feedback Loops in Software Development Projects
Measurements can be used as feedback instrument for improving software development. Much previous work considers technical preconditions; additionally we examine some psychological and social conditions that have to be analyzed and understood. Since these conditions depend a lot on the specific organizational environment of software development, we applied Argyris’ and Schön’s concept of ‘organizational learning’. We get a two-level feedback system for learning in software developing organizations by metrics based analysis. We identified three dimensions which can guide the analysis of measurement activities and which help to detect a strategy to increase the learning capabilities. As examples we analyzed the personal software process, experiences of applying a metrics tool, and extreme programming with respect to these dimensions.
KeywordsSoftware Development Organizational Learning Action Strategy Software Development Process Software Development Project
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Chris Argyris. On Organizational Learning. Blackwell, Oxford, 1992.Google Scholar
- 2.Chris Argyris and Donald A. Schön. Organizational Learning II: Theory, Method, and Practice. Addison Wesley, Reading/ Massachusetts, 1996.Google Scholar
- 3.Kent Beck. Extreme Programming Explained: Embrace Change. Addison Wesley Longman, Reading/Massachusetts, 1999.Google Scholar
- 4.Norman E. Fenton and Shari Lawrence Pfleeger. Software Metrics: A Rigorous and Practical Approach. International Thomson Computer Press, London et al., 2 1996.Google Scholar
- 5.Watts S. Humphrey. A Discipline for Software Engineering. AddisonWesley, Reading/Massachusetts, 1995.Google Scholar
- 6.Gerd Köhler, Heinrich Rust, and Frank Simon. An assement of large object oriented software systems. In Proceedings of the Workshop “ObjectOriented Product Metrics for Software Quality Assessment”, 12th ECOOP, pages 16–22, Brüssel, July 1998.Google Scholar
- 7.M. M. Lehman. Feedback, evolution and software technology-the human dimension. In ICSE 20 Workshop: Human Dimensions in Successful Software Development, 1998.Google Scholar
- 8.Frank Simon and Claus Lewerentz. A product metrics tool integrated into a software development environment. In Proceedings of the European Software Measurement Conference (FESMA 98), Antwerp, Belgium, 1998.Google Scholar