A New Conceptual Graph Formalism Adapted for Multilingual Information Retrieval Purposes
In this paper, a graph formalism is proposed to describe the semantics of document in a multilingual context. This formalism is an extension of the Sowa formalism of conceptual graphs 8 in which two new concepts are added: vocabulary and term. Based on recent works, we propose a new comparison operator between graphs taking the specific needs of information retrieval into account. This operator is the core of the comparison function used in our multilingual documentary system, called SyDoM. SyDoM manages XML documents for virtual libraries. An English collection of articles has been used to evaluate SyDoM. This first evaluation gives better results than traditional Boolean documentary system.
KeywordsDigital libraries information retrieval knowledge engineering information modeling conceptual graph multilingual information retrieval system
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.D. Genest. Extension du modèle des graphes conceptuels pour la recherche d'information. PhD Thesis, Montpellier University, Montpellier, France (2000).Google Scholar
- 2.I. Ounis, M. Pasça. RELIEF: Combining Expressiveness and Rapidity into a Single System. Proceedings of 18th SIGIR Conference, Melbourne, Australia, (1998), 266–274.Google Scholar
- 3.C. Roussey, S. Calabretto, J.M. Pinon Un modèle d'indexation pour une collection multilingue de documents. Proceedings of the 3rd CIDE Conference, Lyon, France, (2000) 153–169.Google Scholar
- 4.J. Sowa. Conceptual Structures: Information Processing in Mind and Machine. The System Programming Series, Addison Wesley publishing Company, (1984).Google Scholar
- 5.J. Sowa. Knowledge Representation: Logical, Philosophical, and Computational Foundations. Brooks Cole Publishing Co., Pacific Grove, CA., (2000).Google Scholar