Geodesic Interpolating Splines
We propose a simple and efficient method to interpolate landmark matching by a non-ambiguous mapping (a diffeomorphism). This method is based on spline interpolation, and on recent techniques developed for the estimation of flows of diffeomorphisms. Experimental results show interpolations of remarkable quality. Moreover, the method provides a Riemannian distance on sets of landmarks (with fixed cardinality), which can be defined intrinsically, without refering to diffeomorphisms. The numerical implementation is simple and efficient, based on an energy minimization by gradient descent. This opens important perspectives for shape analysis, applications in medical imaging, or computer graphics
KeywordsSpline Interpolation Shortests Path Green Kernel Landmark Match Optimal Control Formulation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.L. Bookstein, Morphometric tools for landmark data; geometry and biology, Cambridge University press, 1991.Google Scholar
- 1.P. Dupuis, U. Grenander, AND M. Miller, Variational problems on flows of diffeomorphisms for image matching, Quaterly of Applied Math., (1998).Google Scholar
- 5.S. Helgason, Differential Geometry, Liie groups and Symmetric spaces, Academic Press, 1978.Google Scholar
- 8.I. Miller, M AND L. Younes, Group action, diffeomorphism and matching: a general framework, in Proceeding of SCTV 99, 1999. http://www.cis.ohio-statc.edu/ szhu/SCTV99.html.
- 9.P. Olver, Equivalence, Invarians and Symmetry, Cambridge University Press, 1995.Google Scholar
- 10.A. Trouvé, Infinite dimensional group action and pattern recognition, Quaterly of Applied Math. (to appear), (2000).Google Scholar