Design of a Tool for Providing Dynamic Network Information to an Application
We propose a design of a simple tool that can be used by a distributed application to discover the relevant network information dynamically. The simplicity is a key design feature: the tool can be used without multiple modifications of the application code. The timely notification of the application is performed using a callback mechanism which minimizes the application idle time. The network information is gathered and analyzed simultaneously with application execution. We show that empowering an application with a knowledge of network characteristics provides insights into possible application adaptation mechanisms and into the causes of communication delays.
Keywordsnetwork information collection callback application notification application adaptations
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.G. Chen, Providing dynamic network information to distributed applications, May 2001. Master’s Thesis.Google Scholar
- 2.D. Gunter, B. Tibrnby, B. Crowlby, M. Holding, AND J. Lee, NetLogger: A toolkit for distributed system performance analysis, in Proceedings of the IEEE Mascots 2000 Conference, 2000.Google Scholar
- 4.N. Miller AND P. Steenkiste, Collecting network status information for network-aware application, in Infocom’00, Tel Aviv, 2000.Google Scholar
- 5.NET SNMP project. Web Site, http://net-snmp.sourceforge.net/.
- 6.B. D. Noble, Mobile data access, Tech. Rep. CMU-CS-98-118, School of Computer Science, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, 1998. Ph.D. Thesis.Google Scholar
- 7.W. Norton AND A. Adamps, Project NetSCARF, Connexions, 10 (1996).Google Scholar
- 8.Q. Snell, A. Mikler, AND J. Gustafson, NetPIPE: A network protocol independent performance evaluator, in IASTED International Conference on Intelligent Information Management and Systems, 6 1996.Google Scholar
- 9.M. Snir, S. Otto, S. Huss-Lederman, D. Walker, AND J. Dongarra, MPI-The complete Reference, vol. 1, The MIT Press, second ed., 1998.Google Scholar
- 10.M. Sosonkina, Runtime adaptation of an iterative linear system solution to distributed environments, in Applied Parallel Computing, PARA’2000, vol. 1947 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Berlin, 2001, Springer-Verlag, pp. 132–140.Google Scholar
- 11.R. Wolski, Forecasting network performance to support dynamic scheduling using the Network Weather Service, in 6th IEEE Symp. on High Performance Distributed Computing, 1997, pp. 316–325.Google Scholar