Scalable Sparse Topologies with Small Spectrum
One of the fundamental properties of a graph is the number of distinct eigenvalues of its adjacency or Laplacian matrix. Determining this number is of theoretical interest and also of practical impact. Graphs with small spectra exhibit many symmetry properties and are well suited as interconnection topologies. Es- pecially load balancing can be done on such interconnection topologies in a small number of steps. In this paper we are interested in graphs with maximal degree O(log n), where n is the number of vertices, and with a small number of distinct eigenvalues. Our goal is to find scalable families of such graphs with polyloga- rithmic spectrum in the number of vertices. We present also the eigenvalues of the Butterfly graph.
KeywordsLoad Balance Adjacency Matrix Maximal Degree Laplacian Matrix Vertex Degree
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Akers, S.B., Harel, D., Krishnamurthy, B.: The Star Graph: An Attractive Alternative to the n-Cube, Proc. of the International Conference on Parallel Processing,1987, pp.393–400Google Scholar
- 3.Biggs, N. L.:Algebraic Graph Theory, (2nd ed.), Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1993Google Scholar
- 4.Brouwe, A. E., Cohen, A. M., Neumaier A.: Distance-Regular Graphs, Springer Verlag 1989Google Scholar
- 5.Chung, F.R.K.: Spectral Graph Theory, American Mathematical Society, 1994Google Scholar
- 7.Cvetković, D. M., Doob, M., Sachs, H.: Spectra of graphs, Theory and Application, Academic Press, 1980Google Scholar
- 8.Decker, T., Monien, B., Preis, R.: Towards Optimal Load Balancing Topologies, Proceedings of the 6th EuroPar Conference, LNCS, 2000, to appearGoogle Scholar
- 11.Elsässer, R., Frommer, A., Monien, B., Preis, R.: Optimal and Alternating-Direction Load Balancing, EuroPar’99, LNCS 1685, 1999, pp. 280–290Google Scholar
- 13.Gosh, B., Muthukrishnan, S., Schultz, M.H.: First and Second order diffusive methods for rapid, coarse, distributed load balancing, SPAA, 1996, pp. 72–81Google Scholar
- 17.Tillich, J.-P.: The spectrum of the double-rooted tree, personal communicationGoogle Scholar
- 18.Xu, C., Lau, F.C.M.: Load Balancing in Parallel Computers, Kluwer, 1997Google Scholar