Directly Constructing Minimal DFAs: Combining Two Algorithms by Brzozowski
In this paper, we combine (and refine) two of Brzozowski’s algorithms — yielding a single algorithm which constructs a minimal deterministic finite automaton (DFA) from a regular expression.
KeywordsRegular Expression Minimization Algorithm Construction Algorithm Incremental Algorithm Finite State Automaton
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Brzozowski, J.A. Canonical regular expressions and minimal state graphs for definite events, in: Mathematical Theory of Automata. (pp. 529–561, Vol. 12, MRI Symposia Series, Polytechnic Press, Polytechnic Institute of Brooklyn, NY, 1962).Google Scholar
- 3.Daciuk, J.D., Watson, B.W. and R.E. Watson. An Incremental Algorithm for Constructing Acyclic Deterministic Transducers. (Proceedings of the International Workshop on Finite State Methods in Natural Language Processing, Ankara, Turkey, 30 June-1 July 1998).Google Scholar
- 4.Daciuk, J.D., Mihov, S., Watson, B.W. and R.E. Watson. Incremental Construction of Minimal Acyclic Finite State Automata. (to appear in Computational Linguistics, 2000).Google Scholar
- 8.Mihov, S. Direct Building of Minimal Automaton for Given List. (Available from firstname.lastname@example.org).Google Scholar
- 10.Watson, B.W. Taxonomies and Toolkits of Regular Language Algorithms. (Ph.D dissertation, Eindhoven University of Technology, The Netherlands, 1995). See http://www.OpenFIRE.org
- 11.Watson, B.W. A Fast New Semi-Incremental Algorithm for the Construction of Minimal Acyclic DFAs. (Proceedings of the Third Workshop on Implementing Automata, Rouen, France, September 1998).Google Scholar
- 12.Watson, B.W. A History of Brzozowski’s DFA minimization algorithm. (Poster at the International Conference on Implementing Automata, London, Ontario, 2000).Google Scholar
- 13.Watson, B.W. A New Recursive Incremental Algorithm for Building Minimal Acyclic Deterministic Finite Automata. (to appear, 2000).Google Scholar