Clustering of EEG-Segments Using Hierarchical Agglomerative Methods and Self-Organizing Maps
EEG segments recorded during microsleep events were transformed to the frequency domain and were subsequently clustered without the common summation of power densities in spectral bands. Any knowledge about the number of clusters didn’t exist. The hierarchical agglomerative clustering procedures were terminated with several standard measures of intracluster and intercluster variances. The results were inconsistent. The winner histogram of Self-organizing maps showed also no evidence. The analysis of the U-matrix together with the watershed transform, a method from image processing, resulted in separable clusters. As in many other procedures the number of clusters was determined with one threshold parameter. The proposed method is working fully automatically.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Thorpy, MJ; Yager, J; The Encyclopedia of Sleep and Sleep Disorders; NewYork: Facts on File, 1991.Google Scholar
- Liberson, WT; Liberson, CT; EEG recordings, reaction times, eye movements, respiration and mental content during drowsiness; Proc Soc Biol Psychiat, 19, 1966, 295–302.Google Scholar
- SAS Institute Inc., SAS/STAT User’s Guide, Version 6, Fourth Edition, Volume 1, Cary, NC: SAS Institute Inc., 1989, 943 pp.Google Scholar
- Deichsel, G; Trampisch, H; Clusteranalyse und Diskriminanzanalyse; Gustav Fisher Verlag, Stuttgart, 1985.Google Scholar
- Backhaus, K; Erichson, B; Plinke, W; Weiber, R; Multivariate Analyseverfahren; (6. Aufl.), Berlin, Heidelberg, New York. Springer, 1996.Google Scholar
- Kohonen, T; Self-Organizing Maps; 3rd edition, Springer, Berlin, 2000.Google Scholar
- Fritzke, B; Wachsende Zellstrukturen-ein selbstorganisierendes neuronales Netzwerkmodell; PhD thesis; University of Erlangen, 1992 (in german).Google Scholar
- Villmann, T; Topologieerhaltung in selbstorganisierenden neuronalen Merkmalskarten; PhD thesis, University of Leipzig, 1996 (in german).Google Scholar
- Ultsch, A; Siemon, HP; Exploratory Data Analysis: Using Kohonen Networks on Transputers; Univ. of Dortmund, Technical Report 329, Dortmund, Dec1989.Google Scholar
- Vincent, L; Soille, P; Watersheds in Digital Spaces: An Efficient Algorithm Based on Immersion Simulation; IEEE Transaction on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 1991.Google Scholar