On the Mechanization of Real Analysis in Isabelle/HOL
Our recent, and still ongoing, development of real analysis in Isabelle/HOL is presented and compared, whenever instructive, to the one present in the theorem prover HOL. While most existing mechanizations of analysis only use the classical є and δ approach, ours uses notions from both Nonstandard Analysis and classical analysis. The overall result is an intuitive, yet rigorous, development of real analysis, and a relatively high degree of proof automation in many cases.
KeywordsReal Analysis Transcendental Function Nonstandard Analysis Embedding Function Primitive Recursion
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.J. C. Burkill and H. Burkill. A Second Course in Mathematical Analysis. Cambridge University Press. 1970.Google Scholar
- 4.J. D. Fleuriot. A combination of Nonstandard Analysis and geometry theorem proving, with application to Newton’s Principia. Author’s PhD thesis available as University of Cambridge, Computer Laboratory Technical Report No. 469, 1999.Google Scholar
- 5.A. M. Gleason. Fundamentals of Abstract Analysis. Addison-Wesley, 1996.Google Scholar
- 6.J. Harrison. Theorem Proving with the Real Numbers. Springer-Verlag, 1998.Google Scholar
- 7.R. F. Hoskins. Standard and Nonstandard Analysis. Ellis Horwood Limited, 1990.Google Scholar
- 8.A. E. Hurd and P. A. Loeb. An Introduction to Nonstandard Real Analysis, Pure and Applied Mathematics, Volume 118. Academic Press Incorporated, 1985.Google Scholar
- 9.H. J. Keisler. Foundations of Infinitesimal Calculus. Prindle, Weber & Schmidt, Incorporated, 1976.Google Scholar
- 11.L. C. Paulson. Isabelle’s object-logics. Technical Report 286, Computer Laboratory, University of Cambridge, February 1998.Google Scholar
- 12.A. Robinson. Non-standard Analysis. North-Holland, 1980.Google Scholar
- 13.K. D. Stroyan and W. A. J. Luxemburg. Introduction to the Theory of Infinitesimals. Academic Press, 1976.Google Scholar
- 14.D. Sutherland. Formal Verification of Mathematical Software. NASA-CR-172407, 1984.Google Scholar