On NP-Partitions over Posets with an Application to Reducing the Set of Solutions of NP Problems
The boolean hierarchy of k-partitions over NP for k ≥ 2 was introduced as a generalization of the well-known boolean hierarchy of sets. The classes of this hierarchy are exactly those classes of NP-partitions which are generated by finite labeled lattices. We refine the boolean hierarchy of NP-partitions by considering partition classes which are generated by finite labeled posets. Since we cannot prove it absolutely, we collect evidence for this refined boolean hierarchy to be strict. We give an exhaustive answer to the question which relativizable inclusions between partition classes can occur depending on the relation between their defining posets. The study of the refined boolean hierarchy is closely related to the issue of whether one can reduce the number of solutions of NP problems. For finite cardinality types, assuming the extended boolean hierarchy of k-partitions over NP is strict, we get a complete characterization when such solution reductions are possible.
KeywordsMultivalued Function Partial Function Partition Class Solution Reduction Exhaustive Answer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.J.-Y. Cai and L. Hemachandra. The Boolean hierarchy: hardware over NP. In Proceedings 1st Structure in Complexity Theory Conference, volume 223 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 105–124. Springer-Verlag, 1986.Google Scholar
- 5.G. Grätzer. General Lattice Theory. Akademie-Verlag, Berlin, 1978.Google Scholar
- 7.L. A. Hemaspaandra, M. Ogihara, and G. Wechsung. Reducing the number of solutions of NP functions. In Proceedings 25th Symposium on Mathematical Foundations of Computer Science. These Proceedings.Google Scholar
- 9.S. Kosub and K. W. Wagner. The boolean hierarchy of NP-partitions. In Proceedings 17th Symposium on Theoretical Aspects of Computer Science, volume 1770 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 157–168, Berlin, 2000. Springer-Verlag.Google Scholar
- 12.K. W. Wagner and G. Wechsung. On the boolean closure of NP. Extended abstract as: G. Wechsung. On the boolean closure of NP. Proceedings 5th International Conference on Fundamentals in Computation Theory, volume 199 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 485–493, Berlin, 1985.Google Scholar