Picking Knots from Trees
Interlacing knotwork forms a significant part of celtic art. From the perspective of computer science, it is a visual language following mathematically precise rules of construction. In this paper, we study the syntactic generation of celtic knots using collage grammars. Several syntactic regulation mechanisms are employed in order to ensure that only consistent designs are generated.
KeywordsSyntactic Structure Graph Transformation Derivation Tree Graph Grammar Visual Language
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Bai51]George Bain. Celtic Art. The Methods of Construction. Constable, London, 1951.Google Scholar
- [Buz]Cari Buziak. Aon celtic art and illumination. http://www.aon-celtic.com/.
- [Dav89]Courtney Davis. Celtic Iron-On Transfer Patterns. Dover Publications, New York, 1989.Google Scholar
- [DK99]Frank Drewes and Hans-Jörg Kreowski. Picture generation by collage grammars. In H. Ehrig, G. Engels, H.-J. Kreowski, and G. Rozenberg, editors, Handbook of Graph Grammars and Computing by Graph Transforma-tion, Vol. 2: Applications, Languages, and Tools, chapter 11, pages 397–457. World Scientific, 1999.Google Scholar
- [DK00]Frank Drewes and Renate Klempien-Hinrichs. Picking knots from trees. The syntactic structure of celtic knotwork. Report4/00, Univ. Bremen, 2000.Google Scholar
- [DKK00]Frank Drewes, Renate Klempien-Hinrichs, and Hans-Jörg Kreowski. Tabledriven and context-sensitive collage languages. In G. Rozenberg and W. Thomas, editors, Proc. Developments in Language Theory (DLT’99). World Scientific. To appear.Google Scholar
- [Dre00]Frank Drewes. Tree-based picture generation. Theoretical Computer Science. To appear.Google Scholar
- [HKT93]Annegret Habel, Hans-Jörg Kreowski, and Stefan Taubenberger. Collages and patterns generated by hyperedge replacement. Languages of Design, 1:125–145, 1993.Google Scholar
- [KRS97]Lila Kari, Grzegorz Rozenberg, and Arto Salomaa. L systems. In G. Rozenberg and A. Salomaa, editors, Handbook of Formal Languages. Vol. I: Word, Language, Grammar, chapter 5, pages 253–328. Springer, 1997.Google Scholar
- [Mee91]Aidan Meehan. Knotwork. The Secret Method of the Scribes. Thames and Hudson, New York, 1991.Google Scholar
- [Slo95]Andy Sloss. How to Draw Celtic Knotwork: A Practical Handbook. Blandford Press, 1995.Google Scholar