Clan-Based Incremental Drawing
The stability is an essential issue for incremental drawings. To allow stable updating, means to modify graph slightly (such as adding or deleting an edge or a node) without changing the layout dramatically from previous layout. In this paper, a method for achieving stable incremental directed graph layout by using clan-based graph decomposition is described. For a given directed graph, the clan-based decomposition generates a parse tree. The parse tree, which is used for layout, is also employed in locating changes and maintaining visual stability during incremental drawing. By using the generated parse tree, each incremental update can be done very efficiently.
- 1.J. H. Cross II and R. S. Dannelly, “Reverse Engineering Graphical Representations of X Source Code,” International Journal of Software Engineering and Knowledge Engineering, Spring, 1996.Google Scholar
- 6.M. Frohlich,“Incremental Graphout in Visualization System-daVinci,” PhD thesis, Department of Computer Science, The University of Bremen, Germany, November 1997.Google Scholar
- 8.C. L. McCreary and A. Reed, “A Graph Parsing Algorithm and Implementation,” Tech. Rpt. TR-93-04, Dept. of Comp. Sci and Eng., Auburn U. 1993.Google Scholar
- 9.C. McCreary, F. S. Shieh, and H. Gill, “CG: a Graph Drawing System Using Graph Grammar Parsing,” Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol. 894, 270–273, Springer-Verlag, 1995.Google Scholar
- 10.S. C. North, “Incremental Layout in DynaDAG,” Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol. 1027, 409–418, Springer-Verlag, 1996.Google Scholar
- 11.G. Sander, “Graph Drawing Tools and Related Work,” http://www.cs.uni-sb.de/RW/users/sander/html/gstools.html
- 12.F. S. Shieh, “Stability and Topology of Graph Drawing,” Auburn University, Ph.D. dissertation, 2000.Google Scholar
- 13.F. S. Shieh, and C. L. McCreary, “Directed Graphs Drawing by Clan-based Decomposition,” Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol. 1027, 472–482, Springer-Verlag, 1996.Google Scholar
- 14.Tom Sawyer, “Graph Toolkit”. http://www.tomsawyer.com.