How to Draw the Minimum Cuts of a Planar Graph
We show how to utilize the cactus representation of all minimum cuts of a graph to visualize the minimum cuts of a planar graph in a planar drawing. In a first approach the cactus is transformed into a hierarchical clustering of the graph that contains complete information on all the minimum cuts. We present an algorithm for c-planar orthogonal drawings of hierarchically clustered planar graphs with rectangularly shaped cluster boundaries and the minimum number of bends. This approach is then extended to drawings in which the two vertex subsets of every minimum cut are separated by a simple closed curve.
- 1.Y. Dinitz, A. V. Karzanov, and M. Lomonosov. On the structure of a family of minimal weighted cuts in a graph. In A. Fridman, editor, Studies in Discrete Optimization, pages 290–306. Nauka, 1976. (in Russian).Google Scholar
- 2.Y. Dinitz and Z. Nutov. A 2-level cactus model for the system of minimum and minimum+1 edge-cuts in a graph and its incremental maintenance. In Proceedings of the 27th Annual ACM Symposium on the Theory of Computing (STOC’ 95), pages 509–518. ACM, The Association for Computing Machinery, 199Google Scholar
- 4.Q. Feng, R. F. Cohen, and P. Eades. Planarity for clustered graphs. In P. Spirakis, editor, Proceedings of the 3rd European Symposium on Algorithms (ESA’ 95), volume 979 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 213–226. Springer, 1995.Google Scholar
- 6.A. Garg and R. Tamassia. A new minimum cost flow algorithm with applications to graph drawing. In S. C. North, editor, Proceedings of the 4th International Symposium on Graph Drawing (GD’ 96), volume 1190 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 201–213. Springer, 1996.Google Scholar
- 8.G. W. Klau and P. Mutzel. Quasi orthogonal drawing of planar graphs. Technical Report MPI-I-98-1-031, Max-Planck-Institut für Informatik, Saarbrücken, Germany, 1998.Google Scholar
- 9.D. Lütke-Hüttmann. Knickminimales Zeichnen 4-planarer Clustergraphen. Master’s thesis, Universität des Saarlandes, 1999. (Diplomarbeit).Google Scholar
- 10.K. Mehlhorn and S. Näher. The Leda Platform of Combinatorial and Geometric Computing. Cambridge University Press, 1999. Project home page at http://www.mpi-sb.mpg.de/LEDA/.
- 11.P. Mutzel, C. Gutwenger, R. Brockenauer, S. Fialko, G. W. Klau, M. Krüger, T. Ziegler, S. Näher, D. Alberts, D. Ambras, G. Koch, M. Jünger, C. Buchheim, and S. Leipert. A library of algorithms for graph drawing. In S. H. Whitesides, editor, Proceedings of the 6th International Symposium on Graph Drawing (GD’ 98), volume 1547 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 456–457. Springer, 1998. Project home page at http://www.mpi-sb.mpg.de/AGD/.Google Scholar