Towards Optimal Load Balancing Topologies
Many load balancing algorithms balance the load according to a certain topology. Its choice can significantly influence the performance of the algorithm. We consider a two phase balancing model. The first phase calculates a balancing flow with respect to a topology by applying a diffusion scheme. The second phase migrates the load according to the balancing flow. The cost functions of the phases depend on various properties of the topology; for the first phase these are the maximum node degree and the number of eigenvalues of the network topology, for the second phase these are a small flow volume and a small diameter of the topology. We compare and propose various network topologies with respect to these properties. Experiments on a Cray T3E and on a cluster of PCs confirm our cost functions for both balancing phases.
KeywordsLoad Balance Migration Time Dimension Exchange Diffusion Scheme Graph Class
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- N. Biggs. Algebraic Graph Theory, Second Edition. Cambridge University Press, 1974/1993.Google Scholar
- F. Comellas. (degree,diameter)-graphs. http://www-mat.upc.es/grup_de_grafs/table_g.html.
- D.M. Cvetkovic, M. Doob, and H. Sachs. Spectra of Graphs. Joh. Ambrosius Barth, 1995.Google Scholar
- T. Decker. Virtual Data Space-Load balancing for irregular applications. Parallel Computing, 2000. To appear.Google Scholar
- R. Elsasser, A. Frommer, B. Monien, and R. Preis. Optimal and alternating-direction load-balancing schemes. In EuroPar’99, LNCS 1685, pages 280–290, 1999.Google Scholar
- G. Fertin, A. Raspaud, H. Schröder, O. Sykora, and I. Vrto. Diamater of Knödel graph. In Workshop on Graph-Theoretic Concepts in Computer Science ( WG), 2000. to appear.Google Scholar
- B. Ghosh, S. Muthukrishnan, and M.H. Schultz. First and second order diffusive methods for rapid, coarse, distributed load balancing. In SPAA, pages 72–81, 1996.Google Scholar
- M. C. Heydemann, N. Marlin, and S. Perennes. Cayley graphs with complete rotations. Technical Report 1155, L.R.I. Orsay, 1997.Google Scholar
- G. Royle. Cages of higher valency. http://www.cs.uwa.edu.au/~gordon/cages/allcages.html.
- R.S. Varga. Matrix Iterative Analysis. Prentice-Hall, 1962.Google Scholar
- C. Xu and F.C.M. Lau. Load Balancing in Parallel Computers. Kluwer, 1997.Google Scholar