Instant Image: Transitive and Cyclical Snapshots in Distributed Storage Volumes
- First Online:
Snapshots are a useful mechanism to manage data, particularly for backups in high-availability storage systems. This paper presents the Instant Image algorithm for handling snapshots of storage volumes in a distributed storage system. The algorithm places no restrictions on the choice of storage volumes, allowing snapshot relationships between storage volumes that can be transitive and cyclical. In addition, in a distributed environment with snapshot relationships involving n storage subsystems, reads and writes to storage volumes involve only O(1) storage subsystems per read or write, thereby reducing messaging costs. Finally, the algorithm is not specific to storage systems and can be applied to other contexts requiring snapshots. A performance analysis indicates doubling of average read and write performance on a cluster of storage subsystems.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Adiba, M., Lindsay, B.: Database Snapshots. Proceedings of VLDB (1980) 86–91.Google Scholar
- 4.Chervenak, A., Velanki, V., Kurmas, Z.: Protecting File Systems: A survey of backup techniques. Proceedings of the Joint NASA-IEEE Mass Storage Conference (1998).Google Scholar
- 5.Chutani, S., Anderson, O., Kazar, M., Leverett, B., Mason, A., Sidebotham, R: The Episode File System. Proceedings of the Winter Usenix Technical Conference (1992) 43–60.Google Scholar
- 6.Hitz, D., Lau, J., Malcom, M.: File system design for a File Server Appliance. Proceedings of Winter Usenix Technical Conference (1994) 235–245.Google Scholar
- 7.Hutchinson, N., Manley, S., Federwisch, M., Harris, G., Hitz, D., Kleinman, S., O’Malley, S.: Proceedings of OSDI Symposium. (1999) 239–249.Google Scholar
- 8.Lee, E., Thekkath, C: Petal: Distributed Virtual Disks. Proceedings of ASPLOS V (1996) 84–92.Google Scholar
- 9.Lindsay, B., Haas, L., Mohan, C, Pirahesh, H., Wilms, P.: A Snapshot Differential Referesh Algorithm. Proceedings of SIGMOD (1986) 53–60.Google Scholar
- 10.O. Sato, Y., Inoue, M., Masuzawa, T., Fujiwara, H.: A Snapshot Algorithm for Distributed Mobile Systems. Proceedings of ICDCS (1996) 734–743.Google Scholar
- 11.Spezialetti, M., Keams, P.: Efficient Distributed Snapshots. Proceedings of ICDCS (1986) 53–60.Google Scholar
- 12.Venkatesan, S.: Message-optimal Incremental Snapshots. Proceedings of ICDCS (1989) 382–288.Google Scholar