Encoding Abstract State Machines in PVS
In this paper we show how the specifcation and verifcation system PVS (Prototype Verifcation System) can provide tool support for Abstract State Machines (ASMs), especially oriented towards automatic proof checking and mechanized proving of properties. Useful templates are presented which allow encoding of ASM models into PVS without any extra user’s skill. We prove the transformation preserves the ASM semantics and provide a framework for an automatic tool, prototypically implemented, which translates ASM specifcations in PVS. The ASM specifcation of the Production Cell given in  is taken as case study to show how to formalize multi-agent ASMs in PVS and prove properties.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.G. Bella and E. Riccobene. A Realistic Environment for Crypto-Protocol Analyses by ASMs. In Proceedings of the 28th Annual Conference of the German Society of Computer Science. Technical Report, Magdeburg University, 1998.Google Scholar
- 2.E. Börger. Why Use Evolving Algebras for Hardware and Software Engineering? In M. Bartosek, J. Staudek, and J. Wiederman, editors, Proceedings of SOFSEM’95, 22nd Seminar on Current Trends in Theory and Practice of Informatics, volume 1012 of LNCS, pages 236–271. Springer, 1995.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.G.Del Castillo. The ASM Workbench: an Open and Extensible Tool Environment for Abstract State Machines. In Proceedings of the 28th Annual Conference of the German Society of Computer Science. Technical Report, Magdeburg University, 1998.Google Scholar
- 7.A. Dold, T. Gaul, V. Vialard, and W. Zimmerman. ASM-Based Mechanized Verification of Compiler Back-Ends. In Proceedings of the 28th Annual Conference of the German Society of Computer Science. Technical Report, Magdeburg University, 1998.Google Scholar
- 8.Axel Dold. A formal representation of abstract state machines using pvs. Technical Report Verifix Report Ulm/6.2, Universitat Ulm, July 1998.Google Scholar
- 9.Y. Gurevich. Evolving Algebras 1993: Lipari Guide. In E. Börger, editor, Specification and Validation Methods, pages 9–36. Oxford University Press, 1995.Google Scholar
- 13.N. Shankar, S. Owre, and J. Rushby. The PVS proof checker: A reference manual. Technical report, Computer Science Lab., SRI Intl., Menlo Park, CA, 1993.Google Scholar