Fast On-Line/Off-Line Algorithms for Optimal Reinforcement of a Network and Its Connections with Principal Partition
The problem of computing the strength and performing optimal reinforcement for an edge-weighted graph G(V, E,w) is well-studied ,,,,,. In this paper, we present fast (sequential linear time and parallel logarithmic time) on-line algorithms for optimally reinforcing the graph when the reinforcement material is available continuosly online. These are first on-line algortithms for this problem. Although we invest some time in preprocessing the graph before the start of our algorithms, it is also shown that the output of our on-line algorithms is as good as that of the off-line algorithms, making our algorithms viable alternatives to the fastest off-line algorithms in situtations when a sequence of more than O(|V|) reinforcement problems need to be solved. In such a situation the time taken for preprocessing the graph is less that the time taken for all the invocations of the fastest off-line algorithms. Thus our algorithms are also efficient in the general sense. The key idea is to make use of the theory of Principal Partition of a Graph. Our results can be easily generalized to the general setting of principal partition of nondecreasing submodular functions.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Edmonds, J.: Submodular functions, matroids and certain polyhedra, Proc.Calgary Intl. conference on Combinatorial Structures, 1970, pp.69–87.Google Scholar
- 6.Fujishige, S.:Submodular Functions and Optimization, Annals of DiscreteMathematics, North Holland, 1991.Google Scholar
- 12.Itai, A. and Rodeh, M.: The multi-tree approach to reliability in distributednetworks, in Proc. 25th ann. symp. FOCS, 1984, pp. 137–147.Google Scholar
- 13.Narayanan, H.:Theory of matroids and network analysis, Ph.D. thesis, Departmentof Electrical Engineering, I.I.T. Bombay, 1974.Google Scholar
- 16.Narayanan, H.: Submodular Functions and Electrical Networks, Annals ofDiscrete Mathematics-54, North Holland, 1997.Google Scholar
- 17.Patkar, S. and Narayanan, H.: Principal lattice of partitions of submodularfunctions on graphs: fast algorithms for principal partition and genericrigidity, in Proc. of the 3rd ann. Int. Symp. on Algorithms and Computation,(ISAAC), LNCS-650, Japan, 1992, pp. 41–50.Google Scholar
- 18.Patkar, S. and Narayanan, H.: Fast On-line/Off-line Algorithms for OptimalReinforcement of a Network and its Connections with Principal Partition,Technical Report, Industrial Mathematics Group, Department of Mathematics,IIT Bombay, available from authors via e-mail, 2000.Google Scholar