Data Provenance: Some Basic Issues
The ease with which one can copy and transform data on the Web, has made it increasingly difficult to determine the origins of a piece of data. We use the term data provenance to refer to the process of tracing and recording the origins of data and its movement between databases. Provenance is now an acute issue in scientific databases where it is central to the validation of data. In this paper we discuss some of the technical issues that have emerged in an initial exploration of thetopic.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- A. Woodruff and M. Stonebraker. Supporting fine-grained data lineage in adatabase visualization environment. In ICDE, pages 91–102, 1997.Google Scholar
- Serge Abiteboul, Peter Buneman, and Dan Suciu. Data on the Web. From Relationsto Semistructured Data and XML. Morgan Kaufman, 2000.Google Scholar
- T. Barsalou, N. Siambela, A. Keller, and G Wiederhold. Updating relationaldatabases through object-based views. In Proceedings ACM SIGMOD, May 1991.Google Scholar
- Tim Bray, Jean Paoli, and C. M. Sperberg-McQueen. Extensible MarkupLanguage (XML) 1.0. World Wide Web Consortium (W3C), Feb 1998.http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml.
- P. Buneman, S. Davidson, M. Liberman, C. Overton, and V. Tannen. Data provenance.http://db.cis.upenn.edu/~wctan/DataProvenance/precis/index.html.
- Peter Buneman, Susan Davidson, Carmem Hara, Wenfei Fan, and Wang-Chiew Tan. Keys for XML. Technical report, University of Pennsylvania, 2000.http://db.cis.upenn.edu.
- Peter Buneman, Sanjeev Khanna, and Wang-Chiew Tan. Why and Where: ACharacterization of Data Provenance. In International Conference on DatabaseTheory, 2001. To appear, available at http://db.cis.upenn.edu.
- James Clark and Steve DeRose. XML Path Language (XPath). W3CWorkingDraft, November 1999. http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath.
- Y. Cui and J. Widom. Practical lineage tracing in data warehouses. In ICDE,pages 367–378, 2000.Google Scholar
- R. G. G. Cattell et al, editor. The Object Database Standard: Odmg 2.0. MorganKaufmann, 1997.Google Scholar
- A. Gupta and I. Mumick. Maintenance of materialized views: Problems, techniques,and applications. IEEE Data Engineering Bulletin, Vol. 18, No. 2, June1995., 1995.Google Scholar
- Michael Lesk. Practical Digital Libraries: Books, Bytes and Bucks,. MorganKaufmann, July 1997.Google Scholar
- Hartmut Liefke and Susan Davidson. View maintenance for hierarchical semistructureddata. In International Conference on Data Warehousing and KnowledgeDiscovery, 2000.Google Scholar
- World Wide Web Consortium (W3C). XML Schema Part 0: Primer, 2000.http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-0/.