Application of Metadata Concepts to Discovery of Internet Resources
Internet resources are not yet machine-understandable resources. To address this problem a number of studies have been done. One such a study is the Resource Description Framework (RDF), which has been supported by World-Wide Web (WWW) Consortium. The DC (Dublin Core) metadata elements have been defined using the property of extensibility of RDF to handle electronic metadata information. In this article, an authoring editor, called H-DCEdit, is introduced. This editor makes use of RDF/DC model to define contents of Turkish electronic resources. To serialize (or to code) a RDF model, SGML (Standard Generalized Markup Language) has been used. In addition to this work, a possible view of RDF/DC documents is provided using Document Style Semantics and Specification Language (DSSSL) standard. HDCEdit supports use of Turkish language in describing Internet resources. Isite/Isearch system developed Center for Networked Information Discovery and Retrieval (CNIDR) organization with respect to Z.39.50 standard is able to index documents and allows one to query the indexed terms in tagged elements (e.g., terms in RDF/DC elements). In the scope of our work, the localization of this Isite/Isearch system is completed in terms of sorting, comparison, and stemming. The feature of supporting queries over tags provides basis for integrating H-DCEdit authoring tool with Isite/Isearch search engine.
KeywordsDiscovery of Internet Resources Web mining RDF/DC authoring editor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Akal, F. Kavram Tabanlí Türkçe Arama Makinasí. Yuksek Muhendislik Tezi. March 2000. Fen Bilimleri Enstitusu, Hacettepe Universitesi, 06532 Beytepe, Ankara, Turkey.Google Scholar
- 2.Chowdhury, G.G. The Internet and Information Retrieval Research: A Brief Review. Journal of Documentation. March 1999, 55(2): 209–225.Google Scholar
- 3.Connolly, D. Let a thousand flowers bloom. In interview section of IEEE Internet Computing. March-April 1998, pp. 22–31.Google Scholar
- 4.Duran, G. Gövdebul: Türkçe Gövdeleme Algoritmasí. Yuksek Muhendislik Tezi. Fen Bilimleri Enstitusu, Hacettepe Universitesi, 06532 Beytepe, Ankara, Turkey, 1997.Google Scholar
- 5.Lawrence, Steve and C. Lee Giles. Searching the World Wide Web. Science. 3 April 1998, 280: 98–100.Google Scholar
- 6.Marshall, C. Making Metadata: a study of metadata creation for a mixed physical-digital collection. In Proc. of the ACM Digital Libraries’98 Conf., Pitsburgh, PA (June 23–26, 1998), pp. 162–171.Google Scholar
- 7.Miller, E. An introduction to the resource description framework. D-Lib Magazine. May 1998.Google Scholar
- 9.Singh, N. Unifying Heterogeneous Information Models. ACM Comms. May 1998, 41(5):37–44.Google Scholar
- 10.Weibel, S. The state of the Dublin Core metadata initiative. D-Lib Magazine. April 1999.Google Scholar