Interval Optimization of Correlated Data Items in Data Broadcasting
The server strategy of repeatedly broadcasting data items can result in higher throughput than sending the requested data items to individual clients. Various methods have been studied to reduce the average response time in such systems. In this paper, we introduce a strategy to determine the optimal broadcast interval between two correlated data items. Based on these estimated optimal intervals, we propose a new scheduling strategy of a broadcast program to accommodate an environment where a large number of correlated data items exist in the broadcast program.
keywordsdata broadcast data correlation scheduling strategy broadcast interval
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Acharya, S., Alonso, R., Franklin, M., and Zdonik, S.: “Broadcast Disks: Data Management for Asymmetric Communication Environments,” Proc. ACM SIGMOD Conference, pp. 199–210 (1995).Google Scholar
- 3.Acharya, S., Franklin, M., and Zdonik, S.: “Disseminating Updates on Broadcast Disks,” Proc. VLDB Conference, pp. 354–365 (1996).Google Scholar
- 4.Acharya, S., Franklin, M., and Zdonik, S.: “Balancing Push and Pull for Data Broadcast,” Proc. ACM SIGMOD Conference, pp. 183–194 (1997).Google Scholar
- 5.Chen, M.S., Yu, P.S., and Wu., K.L.: “Indexed Sequential Data Broadcasting in Wireless Mobile Computing,” Proc. Int’l Conf. on Distributed Computing Systems (ICDCS), pp. 124–131 (1997).Google Scholar
- 6.Dao, S. and Perry, B.: “Information Dissemination in Hybrid Satellite/Terrestrial Networks,” Proc. Int’l Conf. on Data Engineering, Vol. 19, No. 3, pp. 12–18 (1996).Google Scholar
- 7.Franklin, M. and Zdonik, S.: “Dissemination-Based Information Systems,” Proc. Int’l Conf. on Data Engineering, Vol. 19, No. 3, pp. 20–30 (1996).Google Scholar
- 8.Hameed, S. and Vaidya, N.H.: “Log-time Algorithms for Scheduling Single and Multiple Channel Data Broadcast,” Proc. MOBICOM 97, pp. 90–99 (1997).Google Scholar
- 10.Hara, T., Yajima, E., Tsukamoto, M., Nishio, S., and Okui, J.: “A Scheduling Strategy of a Broadcast Program for Correlative Data,” Proc. ISC A Int’l Conf. on Computer Applications in Industry and Engineering, pp. 141–145 (Nov. 1998).Google Scholar
- 12.Stathatos, K., Roussopoulos, N., and Baras, J.: “Adaptive Data Broadcast in Hybrid Networks,” Proc. VLDB Conference, pp. 326–335 (1997).Google Scholar