Gesture Recognition for a Walking Person by Using a Sequence of Spatially Reduced Range Image
In order to obtain flexibility of gesture recognition system, a sequence of range image has been used for both erasing background noise and distinguishing gestures of which categories are depending on depth features. The essential processing was to spatially divide the space in front of the person into, for example, 3 by 3 by 3 voxels and calculate the ratio of hand area in each voxels. This paper newly introduces a tracking method for a walking person who is also moving.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.H. H. Baker and R. C. Bolles: “Generalizing Epipolar-Plane Image Analysis on The Spatio-temporal Surface”, Proc. CVPR, pp. 2–9, 1988.Google Scholar
- 4.A. P. Pentland: “Visually Guided Graphics”, International AI Symposium 92 Nagoya Proceedings, pp.37–44, 1922.Google Scholar
- 5.M. A. Turk, A. P. Pentland: “Face Recognition Using Eigenfaces”, Proc. CVPR, pp.586–590, 1991.Google Scholar
- 6.J. Yamato, J. Ohya, K. Ishii: “Recognizing Human Action in Time-Sequential Images Using Hidden Markov Model”, Proc. CVPR, pp.379–385, 1992Google Scholar
- 7.T. J. Darell and A. P. Pentland: “Space-Time Gestures”, Proc.IJCAI’93 Looking at People Workshop(Aug. 1993)Google Scholar
- 8.H. Ishii, K. Mochizuki and F. Kishino: “A Motion Recognition Method from Stereo Images for Human Image Synthesis”, The Trans. of the EIC, J76-D-II,8,pp.1805–1812,(1993-08)Google Scholar
- 9.Kazunori UMEDA, Isao FURUSAWA and Shinya TANAKA: “Recognition of Hand Gestures Using Range Images,” Proc. 1998 IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp.1727–1732, 1998.10.Google Scholar
- 10.R. Oka: “Continuous Word Recognition with Continuous DP,” Report of the Acoustic Society of Japan, S78, 20, 1978. [in Japanese]Google Scholar
- 11.T. Nishimura, T. Mukai, R. Oka: “Spotting Recognition of Human Gestures performed by People from a Single Time-Varying Image,” IROS’97, vol. 2, pp.967–972, 1997-9.Google Scholar
- 12.T. Nishimura, S. Nozaki and R. Oka: “Spotting Recognition of Gestures by Using a Sequence of Spatially Reduced Range Image,” ACCV2000, vol.II, pp.937–942 (2000-1)Google Scholar