Objects Shared by Byzantine Processes
Work to date on algorithms for message-passing systems has explored a wide variety of types of faults, but corresponding work on shared memory systems has usually assumed that only crash faults are possible. In this work, we explore situations in which processes accessing shared objects can fail arbitrarily (Byzantine faults).
KeywordsShared Memory Correct Process Shared Object Shared Memory System Faulty Process
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [AttOO]P.C. Attie Wait-free Byzantine Agreement. Technical ReportNU-CCS-00-02, College of Computer Science, Northeastern University, May 2000.Google Scholar
- [CL99]M. Castro and B. Liskov. Practical Byzantine fault tolerance. In Proceedings of the 3rd Symposium on Operating Systems Design and Implementation-OSDI’99, February, 1999, New Orleans, LA.Google Scholar
- [FLP85]M. Fischer, N. Lynch, and M. Paterson. Impossibility of distributed consensus with one faulty process. Journal of the ACM, 32:374–382, April1985.Google Scholar
- [JT92]P. Jayanti, and S. Toueg. Some results on the impossibility, universality, and decidability of consensus. Proc. of the 6th Int. Workshop on Distributed Algorithms: LNCS, 647, pages 69–84. Springer Verlag, Nov. 1992.Google Scholar
- [KMM98]K. P. Kihlstrom, L. E. Moser and P. M. Melliar-Smith. The SecureRing protocols for securing group communication. In Proceedings of the 31st IEEE Hawaii Int. Conf. on System Sciences, pages 317–326, January 1998.Google Scholar
- [LH89]K. Li and P. Hudak. Memory coherence in shared virtual memory systems. ACM Trans, on Programming Languages and Systems, 7(4):321–359, 1989.Google Scholar
- [MW87]S. Moran and Y. Wolfsthal. An extended impossibility result for asynchronous complete networks. Info. Processing Letters, 26:141–151, 1987.Google Scholar
- [Plo89]S. A. Plotkin. Sticky bits and universality of consensus. In Proc. 8th ACM Symp. on Principles of Distributed Computing, pages 159–175, August 1989.Google Scholar
- [TKB92]A. S. Tannenbaum, M. F. Kaashoek, and H. E. Balvrije. Parallel programming using shared objects. IEEE Computer, pages 10–19, August 1992.Google Scholar