A Greek Morphological Lexicon and Its Exploitation by Natural Language Processing Applications
This paper presents a large-scale Greek morphological lexicon, developed at the Software & Knowledge Engineering Laboratory (SKEL) of NCSR “Demokritos”. The paper describes the lexicon architecture and the procedure to develop and update it. The morphological lexicon was used to develop a lemmatiser and a morphological analyser that were exploited in various natural language processing applications for Greek. The paper presents these applications (controlled language checker, information extraction, information filtering) and discusses further research issues and how we plan to address them.
KeywordsWord Form Morphological Category Control Language Natural Language Generation Information Extraction System
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Anagnostopoulou D., Desipri E., Labropoulou P., Mantzari E. and Gavrilidou M.: “LEXIS-Lexicographical Infrastructure: Systematizing the Data”, Proceedings Workshop on Computational Lexicography and Multimedia Dictionaries (COMLEX 2000), pp.63–66, Greece, September 2000. 402Google Scholar
- Androutsopoulos I., Paliouras G., Karkaletsis V., Sakkis G., Spyropoulos C. D. and Stamatopoulos P.: “Learning to Filter Spam E-Mail: a Comparison of a Naive Bayesian and a Memory-Based Approach”, Proceedings Workshop Machine Learning and Textual Information Access, European Conference on Principles and Practice of Knowledge Discovery in Databases (PKDD), pp.1–13, Lyon, France, 2000. 417Google Scholar
- Cunningham H., Humphreys K., Gaizauskas R. and Wilks Y.: “GATE-a TIPSTER-based General Architecture for Text Engineering”, Proceedings TIPSTER Text Program (Phase III) 6 Month Workshop, DARPA,Morgan Kaufmann, CA, 1997. 409Google Scholar
- Eijk P.: “Controlled Languages in Technical Documentation”, Elsnews, the Newsletter of the European Network in Language and Speech, pp.4–5, February 1998. 411Google Scholar
- Farmakiotou D., Karkaletsis V., Samaritakis G., Petasis G. and Spyropoulos C. D.: “Named Entity Recognition from Greek Web Pages”, Proceedings 2nd Hellenic Conference on AI (SETN-02), Companion Volume, pp.91–102, Thessaloniki, Greece, April 2002. 415Google Scholar
- Markantonatou S., Karkaletsis V. and Maistros Y.: “An Authoring Tool for Controlled Modern Greek”, Proceedings 2nd Hellenic Conference on AI (SETN-02), Companion Volume, pp.165–176, Thessaloniki, Greece, April 2002. 411Google Scholar
- Ntoulas A., Stamou S., Tsakou I., Tsalidis Ch., Tzagarakis M. and Vagelatos A.: “Use of a Morphosyntactic Lexicon as the Basis for the Implementation of the Geek Wordnet”, Proceedings 2nd Conference on Natural Language Processing (NLP 2000), pp.49–58, Patras, Greece, 2000. 402Google Scholar
- Petasis G., Karkaletsis V., Paliouras G., Androutsopoulos I. and Spyropoulos C. D.: “Ellogon: a Text Engineering Platform”, Proceedings 3rd Language Resources and Evaluation Conference (LREC 2002), pp.72–78, Las Palmas, Spain, May 2002. 403, 409Google Scholar
- Sgarbas K., Fakotakis N. and Kokkinakis G.: “A Straightforward Approach to Morphological Analysis and Synthesis”, Proceedings Workshop on Computational Lexicography and Multimedia Dictionaries (COMLEX 2000), pp.31–34, Greece, September 2000. 403Google Scholar