A Contribution to the Theory and Practice of Cognitive Prostheses
Ford and Hayes suggest that rather than think of AI as independent technologies, we think of AI as a human/machine partnership, where the AI “amplifies, rather than replaces human intellectual ability”. We used their perspective to build a smart mixed initiative edge detection tool and believe this approach will be particularly useful in building other effective intelligent graphical tools.
KeywordsLogic Programming Intelligent Tutor System Edge Detection Algorithm Baseline Algorithm Adaptive Software
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ford, Kenneth M. and Patrick J. Hayes. Cognitive Prostheses. Invited talk FLAIRS-99, OrlandoGoogle Scholar
- 2.Ford, Kenneth. Private communication.Google Scholar
- 3.Hayes, Patrick J. and Kenneth M. Ford. Turing Test Considered Harmful. In Proceedings of IJCAI-95 (1995) 972–977Google Scholar
- 4.Hoffman, R.R., J.W. Coffey, K.M. Ford, M.J. Carnot. STORM-LK A Human-Centered Knowledge Model for Weather Forecasting. In Proceedings of the 45 th Annual Meeting of the Human Factors Society, Minneapolis (Oct 2001)Google Scholar
- 6.Kyburg, H.E., Jr. Science and Reason, Oxford University Press, Oxford, 1990Google Scholar
- 7.Lesperance, Y., K. Tam, K., and M. Jenkin. Reactivity in a logic-based robot programming framework. In Proceedings of Cognitive Robotics-Papers from the 1998 AAAI Fall Symposium, Orlando, Florida (1998) 98–105Google Scholar
- 8.Mackworth, Alan. Recycling the Cycle of Perception: A Polemic. Invited Talk, abstract in Proceedings of AI-2002, the Canadian Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Springer-Verlag LNAI 2338 (2002) 102Google Scholar
- 9.G.I. McCalla, “The Central Importance of Student Modelling to Intelligent Tutoring”, in E. Costa (ed.), New Directions for Intelligent Tutoring Systems, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, (1992) 107–131.Google Scholar
- 11.Neufeld, E., Popoola H., Callele, D. and D. Mould. Mixed Initiative Interactive Edge Detection. Proceedings of Graphics Interface 2003, (to appear)Google Scholar
- 12.TOUCH Telemedicine Project, http://hsc.unm.edu/touch/.
- 14.Virtual Human Embryo Project, Louisiana State University, http://virtualhumanembryo.lsuhsc.edu/demos/Stage13/Stage13.htm