System Specification Based Network Modeling for Survivability Testing Simulation
As the structure and behavior of computer network becomes complicated and unpredictable, it becomes difficult to test the survivability of network. The modeling and simulation is a widely used approach to predict the behavior of system or set of system. In this research, we apply a modeling methodology to construct the valid model of computer network focusing on its vulnerability for survivability testing. To accomplish our aim, the appropriate modeling method should be defined. Especially, we take advantage of the system specification based modeling approach to construct valid network model.
KeywordSurvivability Vulnerability Analysis System Specification Simulation Model DEVS-Formalism
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- P. Moore, R. J. Ellison and R. C. Linger, “Attack Modeling for Information Security and Survivability,” Technical Report No. CMU/SEI-2001-TR-001, Pittsburgh, PA: Software Engineering Institute, Carnegie Mellon University, March, 2001.Google Scholar
- N. R. Mead, R. J. Ellison, R. C. Linger, T. Longstaff, and J. Mchugh, “Survivable Network Analysis Method,” Technical Report No. CMU/SEI-2000-TR-013, Pittsburgh, PA: Software Engineering Institute, Carnegie Mellon University, March, 2000.Google Scholar
- M. Bishop, “Vulnerabilities Analysis”, Proceedings of the Recent Advances in Intrusion Detection, pp. 125–136, September, 1999.Google Scholar
- P. Zeigler, H. Praehofer and T. Kim, Theory of Modeling and Simulation, Second Edition, Academic Press, 2000.Google Scholar
- M. Law and W. D. Kelton, Simulation Modeling and Analysis, Third Edition, McGraw Hill, 2000.Google Scholar
- TæHo Cho and HyungJong Kim, “DEVS Simulation of Distributed Intrusion Detection System,” Transactions of the Society for Computer Simulation International, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 133–146, September, 2001.Google Scholar
- HyungJong Kim, KyoungHee Ko, DongHoon Shin and HongGeun Kim, “Vulnerability Assessment Simulation for Information Infrastructure Protection”, Proceedings of the Infrastructure Security Conference 2002, LNCS Vol. 2437, pp. 145–161, October. 1–3, 2002.Google Scholar
- HyungJong Kim, HongGeun Kim and TæHo Cho, “Simulation Model Design of Computer Network for Vulnerability Assessment,” Proceedings of International Workshop on Information Security Applications, pp.203–217, September. 13–14, 2001.Google Scholar