Client–Server P Systems in Modeling Molecular Interaction
We present a new version of P systems called Client-ServerP Systems (CSPS). The client membranes are characterized by their states; the server membrane stores the states of the clients andtriggers the corresponding interaction rules. We show that CSPS have the same expressive power as Turing machines. CSPS is used to model various molecular processes in which interaction and state transitions are causally linked. Signaling pathways and T cell activation are described by using a CSPS software environment called MOlNET (MOlecular NETworks). MOlNET can describe the dynamics of molecular interactions, including both qualitative and quantitative aspects and simulating the signaling pathways that tune the activation thresholds for T cells.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Chan, C., Modeling T cell activation, PhD thesis, Centre for Nonlinear Dynamics and its Applications, University College London, 2002.Google Scholar
- 4.Ciobanu, G., Tanasă, B., Dumitriu, D., Huzum, D., Moruz, G., Molecular Networks as Communicating Membranes. In Gh. Păun, C. Zandron (Eds.), Proc. Workshop On Membrane Computing, MolCoNet vol.1, 163–175, 2002.Google Scholar
- 5.Ciobanu, G., Tanasă, B., Dumitriu, D., Huzum, D., Moruz, G., Simulation and prediction of T cell responses, Proc. 3rd Intl.Conf. on Systems Biology, 2002.Google Scholar
- 6.Dassow, J., Păun, Gh., Regulated Rewriting in Formal Language Theory, Springer, Berlin, 1989.Google Scholar
- 7.Grossman, Z., Singer, A., Tuning of activation thresholds explains flexibility in the selection and development of T cells in the thymus, PNAS 93, 14747–14752, 1996.Google Scholar
- 8.Kaufman, M., Andris, F., Leo, O., A logical analysis of T cell activation and anergy, PNAS 96, 3894–3899, 1999.Google Scholar
- 9.Martín-Vide, C., Păun, A., Păun, Gh., On the Power of P Systems with Symport Rules, JUCS 8, 317–331, 2002.Google Scholar
- 13.Rao, N., Dodge, I., Band, H., The Cbl family of ubiquitin ligases: critical negative regulators of tyrosine kinase signaling in the immune system, Journal of Leukocyte Biology 71, 753–763, 2002.Google Scholar
- 14.Rozenberg, G., Salomaa, A., Handbook of Formal Languages, Springer, 1997.Google Scholar