Agents, Mobility, and M-services: Creating the Next Generation Applications and Infrastructure on Mobile Ad-Hoc Networks
With the advent of third generation wireless infrastructure, and the simultaneous emergence of pervasive connectivity for all devices based on Bluetooth like systems for ad-hoc networks, a new vista is open for research in the area of mobile systems. We describe here our ideas for realizing pervasive computing systems based on the cooperation of autonomous, dynamic and adaptive components (hardware as well as software) which are located in vicinity of one another. This is significantly different from “fixed-infrastructure-based”, mobile client/server computing between wirelessly connected PDAs and network services. It will enable a new class of applications that effectively exploit mobility and pervasive computing. We address several research problems that span the fields of data management and pervasive computing using multiagent systems as the enabling technology. We propose new agent frameworks and service discovery and delivery protocols most suitable to this new and emerging environment. We are building prototypes and applications in the context of mobile electronic commerce within dynamic communities of ad-hoc mobile services.
KeywordsMultiagent System Service Discovery Pervasive Computing Smart Space Agent Communication Language
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ken Arnold, Ann Wollrath, Bryan O’sullivan, Robert Scheiffer, and Jim Waldo. The Jini specification. Addison-Wesley, Reading, MA, USA, 1999.Google Scholar
- Sasikanth Avancha, Anupam Joshi, and Timothy Finin. Enhancing the bluetooth service discovery protocol. Technical Report TR-CS-01-18, CSEE Department, University of Maryland Baltimore County, Aug 2001.Google Scholar
- Sasikanth Avancha, Vladimir Korolev, and Anupam Joshi. Transport protocols in wireless networks. In Proc. IEEE Intl. Conf. Computer Communications and Networks, Phoenix, October 2001. (to appear).Google Scholar
- Harini Bharadvaj, A. Joshi, and Sansanee Auephanwiriyakyl. An active transcoding proxy to support mobile web access. In Proc. IEEE Sumposium on Reliable Distributed Systems, October 1998.Google Scholar
- Andrej Cedilnik, Lalana Kagal, Filip Perich, Jeff Undercoffer, and Anupam Joshi. A secure infrastructure for service discovery and access in pervasive computing. Technical Report TR-CS-01-12, CSEE Department, University of Maryland Baltimore County, Aug 2001.Google Scholar
- Harry Chen, Dipanjan Chakraborty, Liang Xu, Anupam Joshi, and Tim Finin. Service discovery in the future electronic markets. In Proc. AAAI 2000 Workshop on Knowledge Based Electronic Markets, 2000.Google Scholar
- Harry Chen, Anupam Joshi, and Tim Finin. Dynamic sercice discovery for mobile computing: Intelligent agents meet jini in the aether. Baltzer Science Journal on Cluster Computing, 4(4), Oct 2001.Google Scholar
- Steven E. Czerwinski, Ben Y. Zhao, Todd D. Hodes, Anthony D. Joseph, and Randy H. Katz. An architecture for a secure service discovery service. In Fifth Annual International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networks (MobiCom '99), pages 24–35, Seattle, 1999.Google Scholar
- Ian Dickenson. Agent standards. Technical report, Foundation for Intelligent Physical Agents, october 1997.Google Scholar
- M. Dunham, P. Chrysanthis, A. Joshi, V. Kumar, K. Ramamritham, O. Wolfson, and S. Zdonik. Issues in wireless data management. Discussion of the wireless data management panel at NSF IDM PIs Meeting, March 2000.Google Scholar
- Timothy Finin, Don McKay, Rich Fritzson, and Robin McEntire. Kqml: An information and knowledge exchange protocol. In Proc. Intl. Conf. Building and Sharing of Very Large Knowledge Bases, Tokyo, 1993.Google Scholar
- FIPA. FIPA 97 specification part 2: Agent communication language. Technical report, FIPA-Foundation for Intelligent Physical Agents, october 1997.Google Scholar
- E. Guttman, C. Perkins, J. Veizades, and M. Day. “rfc2068: Service location protocol, version 2”. ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2608.txt, 1999.
- Z. J. Has. Panel report on ad hoc networks-MILCOM'97. Mobile Computing and Communications Review, 2(1), January 1998.Google Scholar
- A. Helal, M. Wang, A. Jagatheesan, and R. Krithivasan. Brokering based selforganizing e-service communities. In Fifth International Symposium on Autonomous Decentralized Systems (ISADS), Dallas, Texas, March 2001.Google Scholar
- Hewlett-Packard. E-Speak Architectural Speciification, version beta 2.2 edition, December 1999.Google Scholar
- A. Joshi, S. Weerawarana, and E. N. Houstis. Disconnected Browsing of Distributed Information. In Proc. Seventh IEEE Intl. Workshop on Research Issues in Data Engineering, pages 101–108. IEEE, April 1997.Google Scholar
- Anupam Joshi. On proxy agents, mobility and web access. ACM/Baltzer Journal of Mobile Networks and Applications, 2000. (accepted for publication, also availbe as UMBC CS TR 99-02).Google Scholar
- Anupam Joshi and Liang Xu. A jini based framework for a component recommender system. In Proc. Sixteenth IMACS World Congress, August 2000.Google Scholar
- Lalana Kagal, Vladimir Korolev, Harry Chen, Anupam Joshi, and Tim Finin. Centaurus: A framework for intelligent services in a mobile environment. In Intl. Workshop on Smart Appliances and Wearable Computing, Workshop of 21st IEEE ICDCS, April 2001.Google Scholar
- R. H. Katz, E. A. Brewer, E. Amir, H. Balakrishnan, A. Fox, S. Gribble, T. Hodes, D. Jiang, G. T. Nguyen, V. Padmanabhan, and M. Stemm. The bay area research wireless access network (barwan). In Proceedings Spring COMPCON Conference, 1996.Google Scholar
- M. Liljeberg, M. Kojo, and K. Raatikainen. Enhanced services for world-wide web in mobile wan environment. http://www.cs.Helsinki.FI/research/mowgli/mowglipapers. html, 1996.
- B. D. Noble, M. Satyanarayanan, D. Narayanan, J. E. Tilton, J. Flinn, and K. R. Walker. Agile application-aware adaptation for mobility. In Proceedings of the 16th ACM Symposium on Operating System Principles.Google Scholar
- Ramesh S. Patil, Richard E. Fikes, Peter F. Patel-Schneider, Don McKay, Tim Finin, Thomas Gruber, and Robert Neches. The DARPA knowledge sharing effort: Progress report. In Bernhard Nebeld, Charles Rich, and William Swartout, editors, Principles of Knowledge Representation and Reasoning: Proceedings of the Third International Conference (KR92), pages 777–788. Morgan Kaufman, 1992.Google Scholar
- Olga Ratsimor, Vladimir Korolev, Anupam Joshi, and Timothy Finin. Agents2go: An infrastructure for location-dependent service discovery in the mobile electronic commerce environment. In Proc. ACM MOBICOM Workshop on Mobile Commerce, Rome, July 2001.Google Scholar
- Rekesh John. UPnP, Jini and Salutaion-A look at some popular coordination framework for future network devices. Technical report, California Software Labs, 1999. Available online from.Google Scholar
- H. Chen X. Luan. A meta protocol for agent communication. Technical report, University of Maryland Baltimore County, 1999.Google Scholar