Region-of-Interest Video Coding Based on Face Detection
- First Online:
The ability to give higher priority to Region-of-Interest (ROI) is the emerging functionality for nowadays video coding. A simple and fast method of face detection is proposed to dynamically define ROI in real time application. We use the color information Cr and RGB variance to determine the skin-color pixels. We don’t need extra preprocessing, because these two color spaces are used in most hardware and video codec standards. Then, we use low-pass filters for background to reduce used bits. For video coding system, a region-based video codec based on the H.263+ with the option mode of modified quantization is set up. We adjust the distortion weight parameter and variance at macroblock layer to control the qualities at different regions. From experimental results, the proposed method can signi.cantly improve quality at ROI. Our method is suitable for real time videoconferencing.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.International Telecommunication Union, “Video coding for low bit rate communication”, ITU-T Recommendation H.263 version 2, January 1998.Google Scholar
- 4.Q.B. Sun, W.M. Huang and J.K. Wu, “Face detection based on color and local symmetry information”, Proc. 3rd Int’l Conf. Automatic Face and Gesture Recognition, pp. 130–135, 1998.Google Scholar
- 5.K. Sobottka and I. Pitas, “Face localization and feature extraction based on shape and color information”, Proc. IEEE Int’l Conf. Image Processing, pp. 483–486, 1996.Google Scholar
- 6.D. Chai and K.N. Ngan, “Locating facial region of a head-and-shoulders color image”, Proc. 3rd Int’l Conf. Automatic Face and Gesture Recognition, pp. 124–129, 1998.Google Scholar
- 7.J. Yang and A. Waibel, “A real-time face tracker”, Proc. 3rd Workshop Applications of Computer Vision, pp. 142–147, 1996.Google Scholar
- 9.ISO/IEC JTC1/SC29/WG11, “ISO/IEC CD 11172: Information Technology”, MPEG-1 Committee Draft, December 1991.Google Scholar
- 10.ISO/IEC JTC1/SC29/WG11, “ISO/IEC CD 11172: Information Technology”, MPEG-2 Committee Draft, December 1993.Google Scholar