Me-Services: A Framework for Secure & Personalized Discovery, Composition and Management of Services in Pervasive Environments
- 291 Downloads
Increasing computational capabilities and decreasing costs of commonly used devices, and the concomitant development of short range, ad-hoc networking technologies, will help realize the pervasive computing paradigm. In this paper, we present the use of semantically rich descriptions for devices to discover, and cooperate with, others in their vicinity. In particular, we describe our ongoing projects that have used DAML for service discovery, service composition, data management, and trust based security in pervasive computing environments.
KeywordsPersonal Digital Assistant Resource Description Framework Service Composition Service Discovery Trust Management
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.S. Avancha, A. Joshi, and T. Finin. Enhancing the Bluetooth Service Discovery Protocol. Technical report, University of Maryland Baltimore County, August 2001. TR-CS-01-08.Google Scholar
- 2.H. Bharadvaj, A. Joshi, and S. Auephanwiriyakyl. An Active Transcoding Proxy to Support Mobile Web Access. In Proc. of the IEEE Symposium on Reliable Distributed Systems, October 1998.Google Scholar
- 3.M. Blaze, J. Feigenbaum, J. Ioannidis, and A. Keromytis. The Role of Trust Management in Distributed Systems, volume 1603 of LNCS, chapter Secure Internet Programming, pages 185–210. Springer, Berlin, 1999.Google Scholar
- 4.M. Blaze, J. Feigenbaum, and J. Lacy. Decentralized Trust Management. IEEE Proceedings of the 17th Symposium, 1996.Google Scholar
- 6.D. Brickley and R. Guha. Resource Description Framework (RDF) Schema Specification 1.0 — W3C Recommendation. http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/CR-rdfschema-20000327, 2000.
- 7.F. Casati, S. Ilnicki, L. Jin, V. Krishnamoorthy, and M. Shan. Adaptive and Dynamic Service Composition in eFlow. Technical Report, HPL-200039, Software Technology Laboratory, Palo Alto, CA, March 2000.Google Scholar
- 8.The DAML Services Coalition. DAML-S: Semantic markup for web services. http://www.daml.org/services/.
- 9.J. Hendler. DARPA Agent Markup Language. http://www.daml.org, 2000.
- 10.A. Joshi. On proxy agents, mobility and web access. ACM/Baltzer Journal of Mobile Networks and Applications, 2000.Google Scholar
- 11.A. Joshi, S. Weerawarana, and E. N. Houstis. On Disconnected Browsing of Distributed Information. In Proc. of the Seventh IEEE Intl. Workshop on Research Issues in Data Engineering, pages 101–108. IEEE, April 1997.Google Scholar
- 12.L. Kagal, T. Finin, and Y. Peng. A framework for distributed trust management. In Second Workshop on Norms and Institutions in MAS, Autonomous Agents, 2001, 2001.Google Scholar
- 13.L. Kagal, J. Undercoffer, T. Finin, and A. Joshi. Vigil: Enforcing Security for Pervasive Enviroments. In Under review, 2001.Google Scholar
- 14.R. H. Katz, E. A. Brewer, E. Amir, H. Balakrishnan, A. Fox, S. Gribble, T. Hodes, D. Jiang, G. T. Nguyen, V. Padmanabhan, and M. Stemm. The bay area research wireless access network (barwan). In Proceedings Spring COMPCON Conference, 1996.Google Scholar
- 15.O. Lassila and R. Swick. Resource Description Framework. http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC/rdf-syntax-19990222, 1999.
- 16.M. Liljeberg, M. Kojo, and K. Raatikainen. Enhanced services for world-wide web in mobile wan environment. http://www.cs.Helsinki.FI/research/mowgli/mowgli-papers.html, 1996.
- 17.E. C. Lupu and M. Sloman. Towards a Role Based Framework for Distributed Systems Management. Journal of Networks and Systemss Management, Plenum Press, 1996.Google Scholar
- 18.B. D. Noble, M. Price, and M. Sathyanarayanan. A programming interface for application-aware adaptation in mobile computing. In Proceedings of the Second USENIX Symposium on Mobile & Location-Independent Computing, Ann Arbor, MI, April 1995.Google Scholar
- 19.B. D. Noble, M. Satyanarayanan, D. Narayanan, J. E. Tilton, J. Flinn, and K. R.Walker. Agile application-aware adaptation for mobility. In Proceedings of the 16th ACM Symposium on Operating System Principles, 1996.Google Scholar
- 20.Bluetooth White Paper. World Wide Web.Google Scholar
- 21.F. Perich, S. Avancha, A. Joshi, Y Yesha, and K. Joshi. Query routing and processing in mobile ad-hoc environments. Technical Report TR-CS-01-18, CSEE, UMBC, November 2001. short version accepted for publication at DEXA 2002.Google Scholar
- 22.A. Rao and M. Georgef. Modelling rational agents within a bdi architecture. In Proc. of the Int. Conf. on Knowledge Representation and Reasoning, pages 473–484, San Mateo, CA, 1991. Morgan Kaufmann.Google Scholar
- 23.R. S. Sandhu. Role-Based Access Control. In M. Zerkowitz, editor, Advances in Computers, volume 48. Academic Press, 1998.Google Scholar