Mining Open Source Software (OSS) Data Using Association Rules Network
The Open Source Software(OSS) movement has attracted considerable attention in the last few years. In this paper we report our results of mining data acquired from SourceForge.net, the largest open source software hosting website. In the process we introduce Association Rules Network(ARN), a (hyper)graphical model to represent a special class of association rules. Using ARNs we discover important relationships between the attributes of successful OSS projects. We verify and validate these relationships using Factor Analysis, a classical statistical technique related to Singular Value Decomposition(SVD).
KeywordsOpen Source Software Association Rule Networks Hypergraph clustering Factor Analysis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Rakesh Agrawal and Ramakrishnan Srikant. Fast algorithms for mining association rules. In Jorge B. Bocca, Matthias Jarke, and Carlo Zaniolo, editors, Proc. 20th Int. Conf. Very Large Data Bases, VLDB, pages 487–499. Morgan Kaufmann, 12–15 1994.Google Scholar
- 2.Sanjay Chawla, Bavani Arunasalam, and Joseph Davis. Mining open source software(oss) data using association rules network. Technical Report TR 535, School of IT, University of Sydney, Sydney, NSW, Australia, 2003.Google Scholar
- 5.R.L Glass. The sociology of open source: of cults and cultures. IEEE Software, 17(3):104–105, 2000.Google Scholar
- 6.Eui-Hong Han, George Karypis, Vipin Kumar, and Bamshad Mobasher. Clustering based on association rule hypergraphs. In Proceedings SIGMOD Workshop Research Issues on Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery(DMKD’ 97), 1997.Google Scholar
- 7.Han, J., Kamber, M., 2001. Data Mining, Concepts and Trends. Morgan Kaufmann.Google Scholar
- 8.Hand, D., Mannila, H., Smyth, P., 2001. Principles of Data Mining. M.I.T Press.Google Scholar
- 9.Bing Liu, Wynne Hsu, and Yiming Ma. Integrating classification and association rule mining. In Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, pages 80–86, 1998.Google Scholar
- 10.E.S. Raymond. The Cathedral and Bazaar:Musings on Open Source and Linux by an Accidental Revolutionary. O’Reilly, 2001.Google Scholar