A Group-Theoretic Method for Drawing Graphs Symmetrically
Constructing symmetric drawings of graphs is NP-hard.In this paper, we present a new method for drawing graphs symmetrically based on group theory.More formally, we define a n-geometric automorphism group of a graph that can be displayed as symmetries of a drawing of the graph in n dimensions.Then we present an algorithm to find all 2- and 3-geometric automorphism groups of a graph.We implement the algorithm using Magma  and the experimental results shows that our approach is very efficient in practice.W e also present a drawing algorithm to display a 2- or 3-geometric automorphism group.
- 1.D. Abelson, S. Hong and D.E. Taylor, A Group-Theoretic Method for Drawing Graphs Symmetrically, Technical Report IT-IVG-2002-01, School of Information Technologies, The University of Sydney, 2002.Google Scholar
- 7.S. Hong and P. Eades, Drawing Planar Graphs Symmetrically IV: Disconnected Graphs, Technical Report CS-IVG-2001-03, Basser Department of Computer Science, The University of Sydney, 2001.Google Scholar
- 8.J. Manning, Geometric Symmetry in Graphs, Ph.D. Thesis, Purdue Univ., 1990.Google Scholar
- 9.Groups & Graphs, http://184.108.40.206/G&G/G&G.html.
- 10.W. Ledermann, Introduction to Group Theory, Longman, 1973.Google Scholar
- 11.Magma, http://magma.maths.usyd.edu.au.
- 12.nauty, http://cs.anu.edu.au/~bdm/nauty.
- 13.Rome test suite ALF/CU, http://www.dia.uniroma3.it/~gdt.