Advances in C-Planarity Testing of Clustered Graphs
A clustered graph C = (G,T) consists of an undirected graph G and a rooted tree T in which the leaves of T correspond to the vertices of G = (V,E). Each vertex μ in T corresponds to a subset of the vertices of the graph called “cluster”. c-planarity is a natural extension of graph planarity for clustered graphs, and plays an important role in automaticgraph drawing. The complexity status of c-planarity testing is unknown. It has been shown in [FCE95,Dah98] that c-planarity can be tested in linear time for c-connected graphs, i.e., graphs in which the cluster induced subgraphs are connected.
In this paper, we provide a polynomial time algorithm for c-planarity testing of “almost” c-connected clustered graphs, i.e., graphs for which all nodes corresponding to the non-c-connected clusters lie on the same path in T starting at the root of T, or graphs in which for each nonconnected cluster its super-cluster and all its siblings in T are connected. The algorithm is based on the concepts for the subgraph induced planar connectivity augmentation problem presented in [GJL+02]. We regard it as a first step towards general c-planarity testing.
- CEL67.I. Cederbaum, S. Even, and A. Lempel. An algorithm for planarity testing of graphs. In Theory of Graphs, International Symposium, Rome, pages 215–232, 1967.Google Scholar
- Dah98.E. Dahlhaus. Linear time algorithm to recognize clustered planar graphs and its parallelization (extended abstract). In C. L. Lucchesi, editor, LATIN’ 98, 3rd Latin American symposium on theoretical informatics, Campinas, Brazil, April 20-24, 1998., volume 1380 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 239–248, 1998.Google Scholar
- FCE95.Q.-W. Feng, R.-F. Cohen, and P. Eades. Planarity for clustered graphs. In P. Spirakis, editor, Algorithms-ESA’ 95, Third Annual European Symposium, volume 979 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 213–226. Springer-Verlag, 1995.Google Scholar
- GJL+02.C. Gutwenger, M. Jünger, S. Leipert, P. Mutzel, M. Percan, and R. Weiskircher. Subgraph induced planar connectivity augmentation. Technical report, Institut für Informatik, Universität zu Köln, 2002. zaik2002–435.Google Scholar
- GM01.C. Gutwenger and P. Mutzel. A linear time implementation of SPQR-trees. In J. Marks, editor, Graph Drawing (Proc. 2000), volume 1984 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 77–90. Springer-Verlag, 2001.Google Scholar