Orthogonal 3D Shapes of Theta Graphs
The recent interest in three dimensional graph drawing has been motivating studies on how to extend two dimensional techniques to higher dimensions. A common approach for computing a 2D orthogonal drawing ofa graph separates the task of defining the shape ofthe drawing from the task of computing its coordinates. First results towards finding a three-dimensional counterpart ofthis approach are presented in ,, where characterizations oforthogonal representations ofpaths and cycles are studied. In this note we show that the known characterization for cycles does not immediately extend to even seemingly simple graphs such as theta graphs. A sufficient condition for recognizing three-dimensional orthogonal representations oftheta graphs is also presented.
KeywordsDisjoint Path Direction Label Graph Drawing Permutation Graph Chromatic Polynomial
- 2.J. Brown, C. Hickman, A. Sokal, and D. Wagner. On the chromatic roots of generalized theta graphs. J. of Combinatorial Theory, Series B, to appear.Google Scholar
- 3.I. Bruβ and A. Frick. Fast interactive 3-D graph visualization. In F. J. Brandenburg,editor, Graph Drawing (Proc. GD’ 95), volume 1027 of Lecture Notes Comput. Sci., pages 99–110. Springer-Verlag, 1996.Google Scholar
- 5.I. F. Cruz and J. P. Twarog. 3D graph drawing with simulated annealing. In F. J. Brandenburg, editor, Graph Drawing (Proc. GD’ 95), volume 1027 of Lecture Notes Comput. Sci., pages 162–165. Springer-Verlag, 1996.Google Scholar
- 7.G. Di Battista, G. Liotta, A. Lubiw, and S. Whitesides. Embedding problems for paths with direction constrained edges. In Annual International Computing and Combinatorics Conference, (COCOON 2000), volume 1858 of Lecture Notes Comput. Sci., pages 64–73. Springer-Verlag, 2000.Google Scholar
- 8.G. Di Battista, G. Liotta, A. Lubiw, and S. Whitesides. Orthogonal drawings of cycles in 3d space. In J. Marks, editor, Graph Drawing (Proc. GD’ 00), volume 1984 of Lecture Notes Comput. Sci. Springer-Verlag, 2001.Google Scholar
- 9.G. Di Battista, G. Liotta, A. Lubiw, and S. Whitesides. Embedding problems for paths with direction constrained edges. J. of Theor. Comp. Sci., 2002. to appear.Google Scholar
- 10.E. Di Giacomo, G. Liotta, and M. Patrignani. On orthogonal 3d shapes oftheta graphs. Tech. Report RT-DIA-71-2002, Dept. of Computer Sci., Univ. di Roma Tre, 2002. http://web.dia.uniroma3.it/research/.
- 11.D. Dodson. COMAIDE: Information visualization using cooperative 3D diagram layout. In F. J. Brandenburg, editor, Graph Drawing (Proc. GD’ 95), volume 1027 of Lecture Notes Comput. Sci., pages 190–201. Springer-Verlag, 1996.Google Scholar
- 13.F. Harary. Graph Theory. Addison-Wesley, Reading, Mass., 1969.Google Scholar
- 16.G. Peck and A. Shastri. Bandwidth oftheta graphs with short paths. Discrete Mathematics, 103, 1992.Google Scholar