Database Support for Multisource Multiresolution Scientific Data
We extend database technology to provide more meaningful support for exploration of scientific data. We have developed a new data model that incorporates spatial semantics with localized error and are implementing a prototype database system based on the model. Our data model and system focus on support for retrieval and visualization of gridded scientific data at multiple resolutions. While these semantics may not apply naturally to every scientific application, they are common to many. This paper summarizes the data model and describes the key functionality of our prototype system.
KeywordsSample Point Unstructured Grid Query Point Index Space Unstructured Data
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cignoni, P., C. Montani, E. Puppo, R. Scopigno, Multiresolution Representation and Visualization of Volume Data, IEEE Trans. on Visualization and Computer Graphics, Volume 3, No. 4, IEEE, Los Alamitos, CA, 1997. 95Google Scholar
- Glassner, A. S., Space Subdivision for Fast Ray Tracing, Comp. Gr. Appl, Vol. 4, No. 10, Oct. 1984, 15–22. 106Google Scholar
- Haber, R.B., B. Lucas, N. Collins, A Data Model for Scientific Visualization with Provisions for Regular and Irregular Grids, Proc. IEEE Visualization’ 91, San Diego, CA, 1991. 96Google Scholar
- Hibbard, W. L., C. R. Dyer, and B. E. Paul, A Lattice Model for Data Display, Proc. IEEE Visualization’ 94, IEEE, Washington, DC, 1994. 95Google Scholar
- Hibbard, W. L., D.T. Kao, and Andreas Wierse, Database Issues for Data Visualization: Scientific Data Modeling, Database Issues for Data Visualization, Proc. IEEE Visualization’ 95 Workshop, LNCS 1183, Springer, 1995. 95Google Scholar
- Jiang, F., Implementation and performance evaluation of block-oriented adaptive resolution data for multi-source scientific datasets, M. S. Thesis, Computer Science Department, University of New Hampshire, Durham, NH, 2002. 101, 102, 103Google Scholar
- Kao, D. T., A Metric-Based Scientific Data Model for Knowledge Discovery, Ph.D. Thesis, Computer Science Department, University of New Hampshire, l Durham, 1997. 95, 96Google Scholar
- Li, W., Multisource dataset support in a scientific database system, M. S. Thesis, Computer Science Department, University of New Hampshire, Durham, NH, 2002. 101, 102Google Scholar
- Pfaltz, J. L., R. F. Haddleton, J.C. French, Scalable, Parallel, Scientific Databases, Proc. 10th International Conference on Scientific and Statistical Database Management, IEEE, Los Alamitos, CA, 1998. 95Google Scholar
- Rhodes, P. J., R.D. Bergeron, T.M Sparr, H. Hagen, and B. Hamann, eds. (2002), Hierarchical and Geometrical Methods in Scientific Visualization, Springer-Verlag, Heidelberg, Germany, to appear. 9Google Scholar
- SCVT, Introduction to Scientific Visualization Tools, http://scv.bu.edu/SCV/Tutorials/SciVis/input data.html, Boston University Scientific Computing and Visualization Group, Boston, 1998. 108Google Scholar
- Speray, D., S. Kennon, Volume Probes: Interactive Data Exploration on Arbitrary Grids, Computer Graphics, Vol. 24, No. 5, ACM, 1990. 95, 96Google Scholar