OntoEdit: Guiding Ontology Development by Methodology and Inferencing
Ontologies now play an important role for many knowledge-intensive applications for which they provide a source of precisely defined terms. The terms are used for concise communication across people and applications. OntoEdit is an ontology editor that has been developed keeping five main objectives in mind: 1. Ease of use. 2. Methodology-guided development of ontologies. 3. Ontology development with help of inferencing. 4. Development of ontology axioms. 5. Extensibility through plug-in structure. This paper is about the first four of these items.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [ACFLGP01]J. C. Arprez, O. Corcho, M. Fernandez-Lopez, and A. Gomez-Perez. WebODE: a scalable workbench for ontological engineering. In Proceedings of the First International Conference on Knowledge Capture (K-CAP) Oct. 21–23, 2001, Victoria, B.C., Canada, 2001.Google Scholar
- [BHGS01]S. Bechhofer, I. Horrocks, C. Goble, and R. Stevens. OilEd:A reason-able ontology editor for the semantic web. In KI-2001: Advances in Artificial Intelligence, LNAI 2174, pages 396–408. Springer, 2001.Google Scholar
- [Buz74]T. Buzan. Use your head. BBC Books, 1974.Google Scholar
- [DEFS99]S. Decker, M. Erdmann, D. Fensel, and R. Studer. Ontobroker: Ontology based access to distributed and semi-structured information. In R. Meersman et al., editor, Database Semantics: Semantic Issues in Multimedia Systems. Kluwer Academic, 1999.Google Scholar
- [Dom98]J. Domingue. Tadzebao and WebOnto: Discussing, browsing, and editing ontologies on the web. In Proceedings of the 11th Knowledge Acquisition for Knowledge-Based Systems Workshop,April 18th–23rd. Banff, Canada, 1998. http://ksi.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/KAW/KAW98/KAW98Proc.html.
- [DSW+99]A. J. Duineveld, R. Stoter, M. R. Weiden, B. Kenepa, and V. R. Benjamins. Wondertools? A comparative study of ontological engineering tools. In Proc. of the TwelfthWorkshop on Knowledge Acquisition, Modeling and Management. Banff, Alberta, Canada. October 16–21, 1999, 1999. http://sern.ucalgary.ca/KSI/KAW/KAW99/papers.html.
- [GGOB02]A. Gangemi, N. Guarino, A. Oltramari, and S. Borgo. Cleaning-up WordNet’s top-level. In Proc. of the 1st International WordNet Conference, January 2002.Google Scholar
- [GW00]N. Guarino and C. Welty. A formal ontology of properties. In R. Dieng and O. Corby, editors, Knowledge Engineering and Knowledge Management: Methods, Models and Tools. 12th International Conference, EKAW2000, pages 97–112. Springer Verlag, 2000.Google Scholar
- [GW02]N. Guarino and C. Welty. Evaluating ontological decisions with OntoClean. Communications of the ACM, 2(45):61–65, 2002.Google Scholar
- [Han01]Siegfried Handschuh. Ontoplugins-a flexible component framework. Technical report, University of Karlsruhe, May 2001.Google Scholar
- [Hor98]I. Horrocks. Using an expressive description logic: Fact or fiction? In Proceedings of KR 1998, pages 636–649. Morgan Kaufmann, 1998.Google Scholar
- [KL86]M. Kifer and E. Lozinskii. A framework for an efficient implementation of deductive databases. In Proceedings of the 6th Advanced Database Symposium, pages 109–116, Tokyo, August 1986.Google Scholar
- [LS02]T. Lau and Y. Sure. Introducing ontology-based skills management at a large insurance company. In Proc. of the Modellierung 2002, Tutzing, Germany, March 2002.Google Scholar
- [MFRW00]D. McGuinness, R. Fikes, J. Rice, and S. Wilder. An environment for merging and testing large ontologies. In Proceedings of KR 2000, pages 483–493. Morgan Kaufmann, 2000.Google Scholar
- [NFM00]N. Fridman Noy, R. Fergerson, and M. Musen. The knowledge model of Protégé-2000: Combining interoperability and flexibility. In Proceedings of EKAW 2000, LNCS 1937, pages 17–32. Springer, 2000.Google Scholar
- [SEA+02]Y. Sure, M. Erdmann, J. Angele, S. Staab, R. Studer, and D. Wenke. OntoEdit: Collaborative ontology development for the semantic web. In Proc. of the International SemanticWeb Conference 2002 (ISWC 2002), June 9–12 2002, Sardinia, Italia., 2002.Google Scholar
- [SEM01]S. Staab, M. Erdmann, and A. Maedche. Ontologies in RDF(S). ETAI Journal-Section on Semantic Web (Linkoeping Electronic Articles in Computer and Information Science), 9(6), 2001.Google Scholar
- [SSSS01]S. Staab, H.-P. Schnurr, R. Studer, and Y. Sure. Knowledge processes and ontologies. IEEE Intelligent Systems, Special Issue on Knowledge Management, 16(1), Jan/Feb 2001.Google Scholar
- [UK95]M. Uschold and M. King. Towards a methodology for building ontologies. In Workshop on Basic Ontological Issues in Knowledge Sharing, held in conjunction with IJCAI-95, Montreal, Canada, 1995.Google Scholar
- [W3C99]W3C. RDF Schema specification. http://www.w3.org/TR/PR-rdf-schema/, 1999.
- [WG97]G. Wiederhold and M. Genesereth. The Conceptual Basis for Mediation Services. IEEE Expert / Intelligent Systems, 12(5):38–47, September/October 1997.Google Scholar