Supporting Peer-to-Peer User Communities
The paper describes a design of a peer-to-peer system which is being developed currently to support file and service (help, advise) sharing in research groups and groups of learners. The design addresses some non-technical problems in the deployment of P2P systems, such as coping with free riders, creating closely-knit groups of users sharing common interests and trust. It describes a user modelling approach for servents and presents several approaches for motivating users to participate and contribute to the community.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Adar E., Huberman B. (2000) Free Riding on Gnutella. First Monday, vol. 5, no. 10. Also available on line at: http://www.firstmonday.dk/issues/issue5_10/adar/
- 3.Cornelli, F., Damiani, E., De Capitani di Vimercati, S., Paraboschi S., Samarati P. (2001). Implementing a Reputation-Aware Gnutella Servent. Proc. Int. Workshop on Peer-to-Peer Computing, collocated with Networking 2002, May 19-24, Pisa, Italy.Google Scholar
- 4.DAML Services: http://www.daml.org/services/
- 5.Fogg B.J. (1998) Persuasive Computing: Perspectives and Research Directions, Proceedings CHI’88, http://hci.stanford.edu/captology/Key_Concepts/Papers/papers.html
- 6.Golle Ph., Leyton-Brown K., Mironov I. (2001) Incentives for Sharing in Peer-to-Peer Networks. Proceedings EC’01, October 12-17, 2001, Tampa, Florida, ACM press, 264–267.Google Scholar
- 7.Greer J., McCalla G., Vassileva J., Deters R., Bull S., Kettel L. (2001) Lessons Learned in Deploying a Multi-Agent Learning Support System: The I-Help Experience, Proceedings of AI in Education AIED’2001, San Antonio, IOS Press: Amsterdam, 410–421. Available on line at: http://julita.usask.ca/homepage/public.htm
- 8.Joseph S. (2001) NeuroGrid: Semantically Routing Queries in Peer-to-Peer Networks. Proc. Int. Workshop on Peer-to-Peer Computing, collocated with Networking 2002, May 19-24, Pisa, Italy, available on line at: http://www.elet.polimi.it/p2p/.
- 9.Keleher P. Bhattacharjee S. Silaghi B. (2002) Are Virtualized Overlay Networks Too Much of a Good Thing? in Electronic Proceedings for the 1st International Workshop on Peer-to-Peer Systems (IPTPS’ 02) available at: http://www.cs.rice.edu/Conferences/IPTPS02/
- 10.Manjoo F. (2002) Gnutella Bandwidth Bandits. Salon, August 2002, available on line at: http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2002/08/08/gnutella_developers/print.html
- 12.Milojicic D., Kalogeraki V., Lukose R., Nagaraja K., Pruyne J., Richard B., Rollins S., Xu Z. (2002) Peer to Peer Computing. Technical Report HPL-2002-57, HP Laboratories Palo Alto.Google Scholar
- 13.Ramanathan M. K., Kalogeraki, V. Pruyne J. (2001) Finding Good Peers in Peer-to-Peer Networks. Technical Report HPL-2001-271, HP Laboratories Palo Alto.Google Scholar
- 14.Reed D. P. (1999) That Sneaky Exponential-Beyond Metcalfe’s Law to the Power of Community Building. Context magazine. Spring 1999. available on line at: http://www.contextmag.com/setFrameRedirect.asp?src=/archives/200208/0ToC.asp
- 15.Reed D.P. (1999) Weapon of Math Destruction, Context Magazine, Spring 1999. at: http://www.contextmag.com/setFrameRedirect.asp?src=/archives/199903/DIGITALSTRATEGY.asp
- 16.Shirky C. (2000) In Praise of Freeloaders, The O’Reilly Network. Available on line at: http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/p2p/2000/12/01/shirky_freeloading.html
- 17.Vassileva J. (2002) Motivating Participation in Virtual Communities, Proceedings of the 12th International Conference of Women in Engineering and Science, ICWES’12, July 27-31, 2002, Ottawa, Canada.Google Scholar
- 18.Vassileva J., Deters R. (2001) Lessons from Deploying I-Help, in J. Whatley & M. Beers (eds.) Proceedings of the Workshop on Agents and Internet Learning, AIL’2001 at the Autonomous Agents’2001 Conference, Montreal, May 28, 2001.Google Scholar
- 19.Vassileva J., J. Greer, G. McCalla, R. Deters, D. Zapata, C. Mudgal, S. Grant (1999) A Multi-Agent Approach to the Design of Peer-Help Environments, in Proceedings of AIED’99, Le Mans, France, July, 1999, 38–45. Available on line at: http://julita.usask.ca/homepage/public.htm
- 20.Wilcox-O’Hearn B. (2002) Experiences Deploying a Large-Scale Emergent Network, in Electronic Proceedings for the 1st International Workshop on Peer-to-Peer Systems (IPTPS’ 02) available on line at: http://www.cs.rice.edu/Conferences/IPTPS02/
- 21.Wilde O. (1891) The Picture of Dorian Gray, available on line: http://www.bibliomania.com/0/0/57/103/frameset.html
- 22.Yu, B., Singh, M. (2002) An Evidential Model of Distributed Reputation Management, Proceedings of the First International Joint Conference on Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems: part 1, July 2002, Bologna, July 15-19, 2002.Google Scholar
- 23.Yu, B., Singh. M. (2002) Emergence of Agent-Based Referral Networks. Proceedings of the First International Joint Conference on Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems: part 3, July 2002, Bologna, July 15-19, 2002.Google Scholar